Brake Lever for Tail Light Build?

francisjohn

Local time
3:01 AM
I have done a headlight build that has high and low beams, so there aren't any concerns regarding how to wire it or power it.

I'm looking online for cheap brake lever for my tail light w/ brake light build, something where the switch is right in the lever. I found many levers that have wires coming out of them, however it isn't exactly clear if these wires are specifically meant for a tail light. Some levers I've found meant to be used on some pit bikes are designed (with wires you'd hook up) so the bike doesn't start unless the lever is pulled in.

I found this lever here, however I'm not having much luck on Google getting a straight answer on why do some brake levers have wires.

Brake Lever

People who have done tail light w/ brake light builds, can anyone provide links? or their knowledge in it is that I'm looking for? I'm not trying to buy some $30 brake lever all because the description states specifically its meant for tail light & brake light. I also have looked into e-bike levers, however the intended use is that it plugs into the controller. It's hard to find anything online regarding the specifics of e-bike levers and how they work. It doesn't have to be an e-bike lever either. Just something I can use as a tail light w/ brake light. I'm trying to find

Thanks guys

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Yep that's what you want
Update :

Pit bike levers are massive. Holy crap. I'm unfamiliar with brake switches, and there is not alot of information. There're two spade connectors attached to the switch, however I cannot figure out if there is a positive or negative, or if it doesn't matter?

I'm struggling finding a way to wire this. I'm looking everywhere, and most of the information is based on e-bike controllers or setups more advanced than this.

What the brake lever is doing is either breaking contact between two metal plates or making contact when pulled. These plates are called contacts.

In circuits when current can pass we call it closed, thus complete allowing electricity to flow through. Open is the opposite: electric current cannot flow.

You can use a continuity test on a multimeter to check if the brake is wired normally open or normally closed. Typically brake lights are wired normally open thus allowing current to flow to a relay only when pulled.

A relay is like a remotely operated switch. When powered an electromagnet pulls a blade from one set of contacts to another. This is done so that the brake light wiring doesn't have to be sized to handle the current of the light, just the current of the relay.

What the brake lever is doing is either breaking contact between two metal plates or making contact when pulled. These plates are called contacts.

In circuits when current can pass we call it closed, thus complete allowing electricity to flow through. Open is the opposite: electric current cannot flow.

You can use a continuity test on a multimeter to check if the brake is wired normally open or normally closed. Typically brake lights are wired normally open thus allowing current to flow to a relay only when pulled.

A relay is like a remotely operated switch. When powered an electromagnet pulls a blade from one set of contacts to another. This is done so that the brake light wiring doesn't have to be sized to handle the current of the light, just the current of the relay
Good Explination.... but it is quite simple. The brake light switch closes the contact for the power lead to the 3d wire on your tail/brake light. There are many available. I used this one which is dual pull for my disk brakes and brake light on Risky's Rides.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I had a friend figure the missing link. I knew it was something simple that was right in front of me. The tail light and brake light work very well. Only thing that was needed was to add a diode in the mix, but the diode isn't even needed. I just don't feel like returning the x5 pack of $6 diodes lol

Back