Board Track Racer Engine Selection

a.tab56

Local time
8:21 AM
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could tell me some good lawnmower or pressure washer engines that would work well on a board track racer application. I've see quite a few Honda gcv/gc 160s and 190s on Facebook marketplace. Those are aluminum sleeves if i remember correctly. Also they don't have a traditional throttle compared to the gx line up. I don't mind getting a new carb if that's what I would need to do to use them on a bike frame. Then I also saw quite a few Briggs and Stratton engines although I'm not as familiar with them. I would appreciate anyone's input and experience. If anything is incorrect in my post please let me know.

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could tell me some good lawnmower or pressure washer engines that would work well on a board track racer application. I've see quite a few Honda gcv/gc 160s and 190s on Facebook marketplace. Those are aluminum sleeves if i remember correctly. Also they don't have a traditional throttle compared to the gx line up. I don't mind getting a new carb if that's what I would need to do to use them on a bike frame. Then I also saw quite a few Briggs and Stratton engines although I'm not as familiar with them. I would appreciate anyone's input and experience. If anything is incorrect in my post please let me know.
Yep you guessed it right, the Honda 160cc is a favorite for a BTR

There are ways to hook up a throttle to keep the governor working, which you'll definitely want with a belt and plastic cam gear.

The GC or now the Honda GS series engines had problems that were manifested at high rpm’s due to the geometry of the valve train (parts flying through the head). Back in the day the masters said only use that engine with a torque converter. However that doesn’t look period correct.

I found a cheap barely used Honda GX 120 for sale. Would that be similar enough to a GX 160 so I could use it on the bike? I really don't mind having a smaller motor. I'm not trying to make it a total death trap lol.

I found a cheap barley used Honda GX 120 for sale. Would that be similar enough to a GX 160 so I could use it on the bike? I really don't mind having a smaller motor. I'm not trying to make it a total death trap lol.
Totally different engine, GX series is are slant cylinder engines with traditional gear cam with pushrods

GS/GC are vertical cylinder engines with timing belt driven OHC.

The GX is a more reliable engine.

Totally different engine, GX series is are slant cylinder engines with traditional gear cam with pushrods

GS/GC are vertical cylinder engines with timing belt driven OHC.

The GX is a more reliable engine.
I actually didn't know that. Good to know. If I mounted the engine so the cylinder head is vertical with a custom mount will the internals still get enough oil?

I actually didn't know that. Good to know. If I mounted the engine so the cylinder head is vertical with a custom mount will the internals still get enough oil?
You know I mounted an engine like that on a mini chopper, but I haven't put enough mileage on it to be able to attest to it's longevity. I filed a little scoop into the oil dipper just incase.

Back