6.5hp push trailer....version 1.0

Getting 'comfortable' riding around on or in some new contraption or other and learning how to control it does not amount to declaring it 'safe'.As far as I am concerned safe means that that you stand a reasonable chance of surviving an extreme event ,a collision or some malfunction that puts you,or others in danger of getting hurt or worse.Obviously no 2 wheeler is particularly safe due to the inherent lack of protection,but something like an overpowered pushtrailer is especially unsafe.The appeal is that you can put serious power on a contraption with poor,unknown&untested emergency dynamics and see fit to inflict that on other road users.As far as I am concerned that's inconsiderate,stupid &foolhardy.If you're out for thrills get an MC they're legal&much safer.I have been riding MC's for a long time and one reason I'm still around,is that,a part from being mentally prepared for trouble,I've trained myself to excecute emergency maneuvers like quick swerves&emergency braking.Most people don't do these things because it reminds them of potential trouble,basically the old ostrich aproach.The problem with these things is excessive power, dynamic instability under emergency conditions& poor braking.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, id have to say your right.
but, if the builder takes the time and effort to make sure its legit and solid i dont think there will ever be any problems.

Legit?,come of it.Brazenly illegit. That's what these overpowered ones are.I don't mind particularly if somebody takes 50cc engine &sticks it on a trailer&pokes along at 25 mph or so.But 100cc and above is a different story alltogether.These pious pronouncements about responsible use don't impress me all that much."L'apetit vient en mangeant",as the French say,paraphrased:The inclination increases a with practice.If you have 6 Hp on tap, you're likely to use it too !.Don't kid me on that one, I know !!

6.5 is just right! its a half throttle happy cruiser!
i wouldnt want to run one of those wide open, the valves wont take it. well, they will but the best spot for the honda (and clones) is about 1/2 to 3/4. with a better filter and a pipe instead of muffler no more than 1/2
im still gonna build one so i can go on some really good long distance trips, id like to have some removable boxes on the sides and a rack for the top to put my campin' gear on.

I'm actually considering using my 6.5 engine to power an ice chest I have....would be fun at the lake, camping, and drag/nascar races :D

I run the **** out my Honda clone, and only had to readjust the valves once.

Wide Open Throttle is no problem if you don't abuse it. These engines are amazing, just keep them lubricated.

BTW, if someone wants a cheap 6.5, without a governor, let me know. If not, I'll keep it for a future project...

Back