2010 East Coast Rally at Cape Henlopen (Lewes) Delaware

Rally shirts

The rally shirts are in! For those who ordered shirts and aren't attending the rally, I'll get these in the mail to you tomorrow. The rest of you guys will get your shirts when I see you at the Cape! Woo hoo, just two and a half weeks!

The rally shirts are in! For those who ordered shirts and aren't attending the rally, I'll get these in the mail to you tomorrow. The rest of you guys will get your shirts when I see you at the Cape! Woo hoo, just two and a half weeks!

WOW that was fast. To the guy's that will get theirs at the Cape, you will not be disappointed. Wish I could go. Please post lots of pictures.

We're a little less than two weeks away now, and I thought I'd post some more information. First, the park gates open at 8am. There is an admission fee to the park, as we are not yet into the off-season.
The rally will be held at the basketball courts. I'm attaching a map to help you find it. I've crudely marked the route in red, with directional arrows alongside. The past two years I posted signs, but some disappeared and others were just not seen. So this year, in lieu of signs I'm posting the directions. Once you enter the park and pay admission, you will turn left shortly thereafter. You will then come to a T-intersection (Dune Road), where you will make a left. Follow this road and it will bear right (and become Post Road). Continue to follow Post Road past the Nature Center (on the left) and the Parade Ground (on the right). At the end of the Parade Ground you will turn left onto Queens Road, then make a quick left into the basketball court area. The road makes a loop around the courts, and we will be setting up there. In addition to the map I'm attaching, here is a link to a another map that you can blow up online. Though it doesn't show road names inside the park, it does show where the basketball courts are (located between the two youth camps). http://mappery.com/map-of/Cape-Henlopen-State-Park-Map

Attachments

• bikemap2.JPG
    bikemap2.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 237
Bonnie wants to know if we should bring food?

I was thinking about that today as well. It might be difficult to gauge as I don't know how many people we're going to get. I was wondering whether we should do a cookout like last year or do food runs. I was thinking about a run to the Irish Eyes Pub & Restaurant, but should we make that a lunch or dinner run?

Okay folks, here's some late info on the rally. As in the past two years, I have obtained permission to keep the bikes overnight in Battery 519 at Fort Miles (see photos below). Fort Miles is the WWII Coastal Artillery installation at Cape Henlopen. Battery 519 is an underground gun battery, under 30 feet of sand and 10 feet of concrete. It is currently under restoration, so I ask that we put newspaper or drip pans under the bikes to catch any oil that may drip from exhausts, breathers or whatever.
For those interested in a Battery 519 tour, there will be a "Lantern Tour" of the facility at 7pm on Saturday. The cost is $5 per person, with proceeds going towards the restoration. Also, we will need to have our bikes stowed in 519 by 7pm.

Attachments

• 519entrance.jpg
    519entrance.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 243
  • 519.jpg
    519.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 222
  • 519-2.jpg
    519-2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 213
Just a quick reminder about Delaware's helmet law. You are required to have a helmet. You are not required to wear it. If not wearing it, it must be carried on the bike.

Here is a picture from Google Earth and one from street atlas of the park. I have crudely drawn arrows to help everyone find the site inside the park.

Jim

Attachments

• Rally1.JPG
    Rally1.JPG
    400.9 KB · Views: 222
  • rally2.jpg
    rally2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Back