Texas Motorized Bicycle Laws

Texas Motorized Bicycle Laws -- Tickets

Thanks for the great feedback! That is a good angle that would take little effort to sell. That clarification is really the first step, and its a great defence if one were to encounter a skeptical officer.
As for the cycle type of engine, I don't believe it is worth mentioning since many upright scooters do have a two stroke engines. The law already accompanies these so we can cross our fingers on that one.

Any other suggestions?
I would love some solid foundation on the need to increase engine displacement above the current 40 cc.

I would love some solid foundation on the need to increase engine displacement above the current 40 cc.

Well, a simple comparison between the number of available engines in sub-40cc sizes versus up to 50cc, 80cc, or whatever you think is appropriate, would clearly show better commercial support for the larger engines, thus more benefits of competition for consumers.

Motorized bicyclists tend to be older, thus heavier, than the kids and young adults who are more likely to ride motorized scooters. Their bikes are heavier too. A modest increase in permissible displacement could help offset these differences and allow a similar power-to-weight ratio to what the scooters have.

The lower RPM of a larger displacement motor is a better technical match for the larger diameter wheels of a bicycle versus the smaller wheels of a scooter. I don't expect the average legislator to understand this well enough to consider it relevant. But maybe they can understand that a 35cc engine running at 7000 rpm is pumping the same volume as a 49cc engine running at 5000 rpm, or a 66cc engine running at 3700 rpm.

Perhaps we could ask for a power/top speed limitation only? That would make room for things like one-lungers and diesels that don't lend themselves well to tiny displacements, but do adapt well to biofuels.

Chalo

A motor-driven cycle's definition includes the word "motorcycle" of which a motor bike would not be, because a motorcycle must be self propelled by definition and a MB must be started while moving which takes it out of the category of "self propelled" this also speaks for the issue of mopeds as they point to Motor-driven cycle =p As far as their definitions-

8) "Moped" means a motor-driven cycle that cannot
attain a speed in one mile of more than 30 miles per hour and the
engine of which:
(A) cannot produce more than two-brake
horsepower; and
(B) if an internal combustion engine, has a
piston displacement of 50 cubic centimeters or less and connects to
a power drive system that does not require the operator to shift
gears.
(9) "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle, other than a
tractor, that is equipped with a rider's saddle and designed to have
when propelled not more than three wheels on the ground.
(10) "Motor-driven cycle" means a motorcycle equipped
with a motor that has an engine piston displacement of 250 cubic
centimeters or less. The term does not include an electric bicycle.
(11) "Motor vehicle" means a self-propelled vehicle or
a vehicle that is propelled by electric power from overhead trolley
wires. The term does not include an electric bicycle or an electric
personal assistive mobility device, as defined by Section 551.201.
24) "Electric bicycle" means a bicycle that:
(A) is designed to be propelled by an electric
motor, exclusively or in combination with the application of human
power;
(B) cannot attain a speed of more than 20 miles
per hour without the application of human power; and
(C) does not exceed a weight of 100 pounds.

self-pro·pelled (sĕlfˌprə-pĕldˈ)
adjective

1. Containing its own means of propulsion:

As the engine cannot be started from a standing point, it does not have its own means of propulsion. However, if you put an ignition in this language would be void and you would have a moped.

Last edited:
A motor-driven cycle's definition includes the word "motorcycle" of which a motor bike would not be, because a motorcycle must be self propelled by definition and a MB must be started while moving which takes it out of the category of "self propelled" this also speaks for the issue of mopeds as they point to Motor-driven cycle =p As far as their definitions-

8) "Moped" means a motor-driven cycle that cannot
attain a speed in one mile of more than 30 miles per hour and the
engine of which:
(A) cannot produce more than two-brake
horsepower; and
(B) if an internal combustion engine, has a
piston displacement of 50 cubic centimeters or less and connects to
a power drive system that does not require the operator to shift
gears.
(9) "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle, other than a
tractor, that is equipped with a rider's saddle and designed to have
when propelled not more than three wheels on the ground.
(10) "Motor-driven cycle" means a motorcycle equipped
with a motor that has an engine piston displacement of 250 cubic
centimeters or less. The term does not include an electric bicycle.
(11) "Motor vehicle" means a self-propelled vehicle or
a vehicle that is propelled by electric power from overhead trolley
wires. The term does not include an electric bicycle or an electric
personal assistive mobility device, as defined by Section 551.201.
24) "Electric bicycle" means a bicycle that:
(A) is designed to be propelled by an electric
motor, exclusively or in combination with the application of human
power;
(B) cannot attain a speed of more than 20 miles
per hour without the application of human power; and
(C) does not exceed a weight of 100 pounds.

self-pro·pelled (sĕlfˌprə-pĕldˈ)
adjective

1. Containing its own means of propulsion:

As the engine cannot be started from a standing point, it does not have its own means of propulsion. However, if you put an ignition in this language would be void and you would have a moped.

But by the very law you listed, a motored bike would be a moped. Just trying to open your field of view.

A moped must be self propelled- the point i was trying to hint or get at was the contention as to if a MB is truly self propelled due to the lack of ignition or battery.

A moped must be self propelled- the point i was trying to hint or get at was the contention as to if a MB is truly self propelled due to the lack of ignition or battery.

law says either by motor or pedal power....look through the legalese. Look at post 102....then you will understand.

To put it another way, don't poke sleeping dogs. I have not heard of any recent problems with MB's here. Lets deal with them when they pop up.

Last edited:
You mean let sleeping dogs lie? lol what you say is true- i just don't want an issue with anyone period =p I was planning on having it be a great mode of transportation for my 9 mile ride to college- Perhaps I'll just hybrid ride. As far as the pedals are concerned it is not in the actual definition of the law they would be using-
DPS also does no cite pedals http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/mopedinfo.htm

I have seen the old law constitute pedals though- but everything new i've seen never cited pedals

Fuzzy area

Dam you must be a good fast typer. That would of taken me a week or less. I cant read so good. But MB's are a fuzzy grey area that may or may not go noticed. Or if popo or rent-a-cop would just let it go, and think thats cool. Cops have seen me and no issues yet and i live next to a cop. That will only last so long before MB's blow up and they are hyper-aware scooters are very popular here. P.S. I have full coverage Ins. $60 or 80 a yr. They were kinda sketchy about it .not licensed but i do have a current DL.

Last edited:
I ride a bicycle. That is my story and I'm sticking to it. The cops in my town are cool with it (as long as people ride seriously and follow traffic laws), but if any tried to claim it was some goped scooter thing, I'd fight it. Its a bicycle. Not a moped, not a motorcycle, not a goped, not a scooter. A bicycle.

Back