TREK 4500/ GEBE w/ GP460 build

just a little update.

the belt that looked so promising at 750 mls. has bit the dust at 1000mls. this afternoon.

not to bad considering this one was subjected to the drivering running eliptically around the spokes for about 500 mls. thinking the belt was stetching i kept cranking on the tension (stretching the belt for real, DOH !! )

i'm going to give this new belt a chance to get me through more than a month, if it does, fine, but either way i'm going to CHAIN DRIVE.

i know many of you will be annoyed at this anouncement because you have followed this thread with hope that MAYBE the GEBE system could take a big motor and live.

WELL, the truth is that the GEBE system IS GREAT and adequitly built for the engines recommended. it's fully up to recreational pleasure riding AND commuting at LEGAL MB speeds.

i'm not doing any of that though. i have a 5HP, high torque motor and commute 40 mls. round trip 6 days a week at 35-40mph. to fully use my motor to give me an economical, dependable way to work, that doesn't double my former drive time, i need a HD drive line.

i'm also in the process of bulding another bike. a semi recumbent, low crank forward, 55" wheel base, 26#er, with fairing and fabric streamlining. i'll be transfering me engine and driveline to it.

this will give me much better ride and handling along with dramatically reduced wind resistance.

thanks for riding along,
steve

I was really rooting for you.

GO Go Go.
Chain drive.

thanks Spad,

i really have NOTHING against the GEBE system and WOULD continue using it if running 25-30mph did anything for me, but it doesn't.

truth is, i have kept my eyes open for a 125-250cc enduro type motorcycle but they are very hard to find in my area now, so i'll just keep the MB and make it more what i need.

i had a real good run with the GEBE and learned a tremendous amount in the last 2 months that will continue to serve me well.

watch the "for sale / trade " forum for offerings.

steve

Turned to the Dark Side he has! Needs everyday driver he does.

I am ordering my Staton kit today myself! The only mod I have to consider is the tensioner bit, as I am going to go with a manual (stop the bike and move the chain by hand) shift between a "high" and a "low" gear... Dérailleurs and whatnot might come later on down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you except I listened to what you were discussing and got rid of mine when I saw it. I was amazed frankly at the heavy use you were able to give the system when I saw how it looked. I build my own frames and wheels and this did not look to be in the same league as to durable and tough. Then when I could not hook the ring up to my twisted spoke wheel I bailed and decided to get up to speed with a shifting system like what Sick Bike Parts is making. The motor will not be as fast as yours, but with the right one and all those gears I will see. Performance and durability should be as good as the weakest component. Nobody says I could not use one of these powerhouse motors as a center mount using a similar set up to what SBP is using. Since I crashed last week I have not been able to work on anything but gimme another week and ..?

GEBE/GXH50 build

I've appreciated and learned a lot from this thread as well. I've decided on the GEBE system with the Honda GXH50-QXA from smallenginewarehouse.com. I bought a clutch and adaptor from Staton and hoping things will go together smoothly on my chopper-style bike that I posted a picture of earlier in the thread.

As soon as the motor gets here I'll be ready to rock n' roll. I'll probably need a few tips some you pros so I'll keep you posted as to when I post a thread about it. So far I haven't seen anyone with a GEBE/GXH50 build. Do you guys know of any?

Great build. It's been fun and informative. Can't wait on your up and coming project!

Paul

I've appreciated and learned a lot from this thread as well. I've decided on the GEBE system with the Honda GXH50-QXA from smallenginewarehouse.com. I bought a clutch and adaptor from Staton

So far I haven't seen anyone with a GEBE/GXH50 build.

Paul
Hi Paul
I have never seen one so this is very interesting

How much did the clutch and adapter from Staton cost?
Exactly what parts did you order?

thanks

staton stuff

Here's the links for the clutch and adaptor:

clutch - $79
http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3288

adaptor - $55
http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3210

I've found it's sometimes hard to find certain parts on Staton's webpage. I found this stuff by clicking on Engines on the left hand side of the main page. Then click on the Honda GHX and at the bottom of that page are links of similiar and related products.

I just posted a new thread under frame-mounted drivetrains on a design I'd like to try after the GEBE since that's what I already have in. I'd like to other peoples' thoughts as to if you think it would work or not.

You can check it out here:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=14043

Hope that helps!

Paul

pmarkwell,

Check out this diagram for a tensioner pivot I got from kerf. I think it could go a long way toward relieving non-perfectly aligned drive rings woes for GEBE users. That crappy not-free-moving tensioner that just pivots on the threads of a bolt is a big problem for GEBE'rs in my opinion. Then, the only thing you really have to worry about would be making sure the belt is aligned with the rim.

Back