SickBikeParts Right Hand Side Chain Tensioner idler wheel options

I am sure Jim will have an engineering solution for the 21 tooth sprocket.

He will of course, but they just had all their LHS tensioner cover plates cut/stamped so they're not going to make a new larger one. I expect the sales of 21T sprockets will be small to begin with anyway.. can't see them doing large numbers of these for a while yet. A far as I can see most people don't even want to pedal. That's where anodizing would help of course, because the mountainbiker market requires that level of aesthetics.

The Mk II Version

Exactly the same disks as the Mk I version in the video, but they've been drilled with 6mm holes and linished back to a brushed aluminium finish

A design that looks much more pleasing on the eye.

Guys-

Before spending big bucks on chain tensioners, do yourselves a favor: shorten the motor side chain using a chain break tool so there is no need for an ugly, weak tensioner. On the pedal chain side, shorten or lengthen the pedal chain. Using "half links," which you can get at a bike shop or online, you can get the chain length just about perfect. It's clean, simple and direct, with less parts to worry about. It's cheaper, too! It takes some patience, but it is well worth it.

Guys-

do yourselves a favor: shorten the motor side chain using a chain break tool so there is no need for an ugly, weak tensioner.

:eek: you don't think people have already driven themselves insane trying and retrying that concept, only to have the chain stretch faster than they can shorten the chain or retension it by using the engine tensioning rod every 15 minutes.

The Mk III Version

I've finally got around to installing Terracycle (ball bearing) idler wheels on the SickBikeParts Right Hand Side Chain Tensioner.
The only annoying issue is that Terracycle doesn't manufacture these wonderful idler wheels in any other colour than boring old "black".

Never content with "boring", i decided to mess around with the aesthetics; adding white highlights to the idler wheels.

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back