Titan Rack Kit, is a freewheel sprocket worth it?

Sparky

I`m thinking i posted the bearing number to go from 1/2" id to 5/8" id in lowriders rim to rim belt drive, a current active thread. The bearing is 1&3/8" od.

If the wheel has a freewheel bearing and the engine goes to idle speed, the chain will stop and the clutch will release because the clutch springs will release the drum.

I have entertained the idea of a build like my rack mounted cvt right hand drive using the dual freewheels, but substituting the 5:1 reverse rotation neat little ger box. Used the 5:1 box in my diy shifter bike and my diy rear axle mount.

Am not sure what you are trying to accomplish with the freewheel on the gear box. But will help if able.

Have fun, "git-er done" as Larry says. Ron

Attachments

• AXLE MOUNT.JPG
    AXLE MOUNT.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 520
  • 100_1451.JPG
    100_1451.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 462
Treewk..

Are you using a left-hand freewheel on the setup in those pics?? ... or are you just dealing with the drag??

The dual freewheel w/ 5:1 gearbox is the "ultimate setup"... but the reason I'm asking about the freewheel being added to the gearbox shaft is for the Nuvinci hub. That sprocket is fixed, and I don't believe it's possible to add an engine freewheel to that hub.

Hence, me trying to adapt a freewheel for the 5:1 gearbox, similar to how Staton's gearbox has a freewheel.

Sparky

Yes the wheel had a lefthand freewheel sprocket on it. The complete bicycle was an electric model I bought on Craigs list for $50. It is called a cartridge motor, not a hub motor in the spokes.

Removed the electric motor, drilled 5 holes in the electric motor mount and bolted the 5:1 box on with a 12 tooth 1/2" pitch on the gear box for bmx chain (or ht chain).

Then had a machinist enlarge the center hole of a 48 tooth ht sprocket to fit fit the freewheel sprocket hub snugly. The sprockets ligned up easily and runs like a charm accept for the carb proplem with the poor gas we get.

It is geared close to 18:1 final ratio and runs at 35 mph with a gps street pilot. 180 lb rider on flat blacktop rd. The motor is a 49cc 2 stoke.

Very easy to install on any bike, dual suspension etc. Have not done any riding since last year, but looking forward to it as the weather cools.

Did look at the nuvinci blue prints a couple years ago but don`t remember if it freewheels. Some members are happy with theirs.

It looked a little strange as i was building it, but it grew on me fast as we rode it. Very satisfied with the performance.. My intend was to build a nice functioning dependable affordable mab and keep the price down. As the motor sits above the axle it woud be easy to conceal in a basket type cover. Did stock up on parts to offer a kit and start a thread , but started building a houseboat.

Ron

Last edited:
FYI. I've seen a 1/2 inch ID - 5/8 inch OD motor shaft bushing that could probably be used - the only thing that might be a problem is the key should be rectangular (3/16 W * 1/4 inch H) instead of 3/16 square, to best fit the new, elongated (by the thickness of the bushing walls) keyway opening.

Here's the link. TSC has one too, but you would need to cut a 3/16 inch wide 'slot' in it to accommodate the key.

The ideal adapter would be to start with the TSC bushing, machine a 3/16 inch opening down one side, then weld or braze a 3/16 x 1/4 key rigidly in place in the new slot. Ref sketch below.

Attachments

• Drive Bushing.jpg
    Drive Bushing.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Back