My Tadpole Project (update--overdue)

Thanks guys.

:rolleyes: No art here..... just lots of homework....I'm looking for a system that works, for me. (I am keeping with my 'UGLY' theme....UGLY = Anti-theft) :devilish:

throttle cable...:unsure:.... now that would be handy!! :giggle:
yeah, that's on my 'to do' list. (right now, I am using the 'suicide' throttle. SET IT & Forget IT.....till I need to slow down!!)

Stay tuned for a Trike Rally in 2010 !! :D

Large, thanks for the shifter tip. (Josh, at my LBS has a bunch of nos 3 speed shifters & stuff, too.) I have some questions for you about the powered 3 speed.

I'm almost ready to start two more trike builds..... pedal only.
Kinda like this----> 20 20 heavy 3D.jpg (cept different)

I have plenty of new steel & a nice set of front wheels for one of them.

Last edited:
Trike with 79cc 2.5HP engine

How fast does it go? It looks like that engine is suiting you well for the trike.

BTW, it's a very gas efficient engine. My bro gets 135MPG and 38mph so far with the one on his pusher trailer. It's a little sluggish at low speed, but once it's going, it's quick.

You will enjoy the MPG and quietness of this engine for sure. In the very near future, I plan to retire the 6.5 and use a 2.5. I'm just wondering how well you like the performance.

Boy, was I wrong!!

I don't have the shifter set up on my jackshaft, yet.... so I am stuck in 1st gear.
Without the shifter hooked up....I was in 3rd gear, on the 'jackshaft'. DOH!!

I was semi-pleased, in 3rd....I mean it pulled itself, but the engine never really had a chance. haha LUG--LUG--LUG

After hooking up the shifter & finding 1st gear....for real, this time....I must say---WOW!!

Disclaimer: I realize having gears on a motor assisted bicycle is illegal, but in the name of 'science' ,(& in search of an adequate gear reduction for a 3600 rpm max engine) I felt it necessary to use the 3-speed hub.

also...I may mention speeds that are illegal also...be gentle guys...it's science...hahaha

continued......

Last edited:

Disclaimer: I realize having gears on a motor assisted bicycle is illegal, but in the name of 'science' ,(& in search of an adequate gear reduction for a 3600 rpm max engine) I felt it necessary to use the 3-speed hub.

also...I may mention speeds that are illegal also...be gentle guys...it's science...hahaha

hehehe shhhhh don't tell anyone and the Policeman will never no hehehe ...any chance of some more video of this beast in action matey? Top job too LOVE custom builds this is a ripper...even if its back to front hehee :p

KiM

Boy, was I wrong!!

I don't have the shifter set up on my jackshaft, yet.... so I am stuck in 1st gear.
Without the shifter hooked up....I was in 3rd gear, on the 'jackshaft'. DOH!!

I was semi-pleased, in 3rd....I mean it pulled itself, but the engine never really had a chance. haha LUG--LUG--LUG

After hooking up the shifter & finding 1st gear....for real, this time....I must say---WOW!!

I have no need, or desire to go mega-Fast.

Okay..... 1st gear..... I gotta be gentle on the take-off.... lots of 'lowend' power. I was paced by a guy in a cage.... in excess of 30 mph. :cry:
1st gear pulled the RR overpass, like it was flat ground.

I've shifted to 2nd twice.....& gone up to 1/2 throttle.....I have no clue how fast, but I wanted NO MORE !!
nor do I want 3rd gear. :devilish:

Hopefully, 2nd gear will make a nice overdrive for Highway riding.

Soon, I will crunch the numbers & find out exactly what my gear reduction numbers are.

How's the steering? If it's a bit "twitchy", using bar extensions to change the handles from vertical to horizontal might help.

hehehe shhhhh don't tell anyone and the Policeman will never no hehehe ...any chance of some more video of this beast in action matey? Top job too LOVE custom builds this is a ripper...even if its back to front hehee :p

KiM
hahaha....
I'd luv to do some videos.... will check into it.

How's the steering? If it's a bit "twitchy", using bar extensions to change the handles from vertical to horizontal might help.
the steering seems pretty smooth, but I like the idea of bar extiensions... more choices to put my hands...more comfort. & if it makes the steering better than it already is....that's a PLUS !!

Well, I finally gathered enough parts to redo my drivetrain. The 3-speed jackshaft served its purpose... allowed me to find the gear reduction I need.

I'm going with a slippy-belt from the engine to a jack shaft...then #41 chain to the rear wheel.

Wish me luck & a kick to my backside for motivation !! :D

Back