Gas tank stud question

dkl0ud

Local time
6:24 PM
Hello! Happy New Years everyone, thanks for all the replies on my posts. Everyone has been super helpful and it makes me so happy that my bike is chugging along well. When I received my gas tank, one of the studs was half broken off already and had this black stuff on all of the studs like some kind of sleeve? It was very hard to remove and was kinda like fiberglass and they were all rusted underneath when I exposed the actual threads. I could be wrong but I don’t think this is normal.

I already reached out to them and they sent a new one in the mail, hopefully it will arrive soon. But just wanted to see if anyone has had this experience?

Attachments

• IMG_0708.jpeg
    IMG_0708.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 45
Hello! Happy New Years everyone, thanks for all the replies on my posts. Everyone has been super helpful and it makes me so happy that my bike is chugging along well. When I received my gas tank, one of the studs was half broken off already and had this black stuff on all of the studs like some kind of sleeve? It was very hard to remove and was kinda like fiberglass and they were all rusted underneath when I exposed the actual threads. I could be wrong but I don’t think this is normal.

I already reached out to them and they sent a new one in the mail, hopefully it will arrive soon. But just wanted to see if anyone has had this experience?
Actually that is the china version of masking tape, basically, "what's handy!". Looks like yours was a cloth tape that hardened into a shield.

Of all the bikes I built, I only had one broken stud. But lots were rusted, squirt them with WD40 and wire brush them. Put a nut on each of them first and run them up to the tank, then mount it as normal. The extra nut prevents you from tightening too much against the tank and breaking a stud.

Back