Received Walmart Hyper Cruiser

gearhead437

Local time
6:33 PM
Dear Fellow Gearheads-Although the box took a beating, my black Hyper cruiser survived Fedex. It arrived with just a ding in the front bumper and a small dent in the top tube, forward of the seat. The rear rim doesn't appear damaged, but was really out of true. The front rim is very true. Both wheel bearings were overtightened, but this is not an issue, as I just delivered it to a local bike shop for repacking with quality grease. They will also true both rims and remove the black handgrips. The welds, frame geometry and general quality of this bike are MUCH higher than the Huffy Cranbrooks, IMHO. Hope to have it back by 7/28, so I can begin the build-Gearhead222

Hi gearhead437. I believe the Hyper Cruiser manufactured by the Hyper Bicycle Company is a very good bicycle for motorizing. Moderator Damien 1307 uses that same bicycle with well thought out modifications for his excellent build. I don't recall if he used this bike with the SEEUTEK engine, he has fitted his bike with the Zeda80, and Phantom85 v2. His Hyper Cruiser probably has thousands of miles on it. Before I retired from my last job, they asked me, "What does teamwork mean to you?" I wrote on the questionnaire that each individual of a team is like a part from a bicycle frame. Each part of a bicycle frame is weak, however assembled together correctly they form a strong unit. I'm trying to say that if any part of a bicycle frame is incorrectly altered, this will compromise the strength of the frame. I believe the small dent in your top tube makes your bicycle dangerous to motorize. If I may respectfully ask a question about the Hyper Cruiser bicycle frame: How many miles do you anticipate a Hyper Cruiser bicycle frame to last in some cases enduring a 90 pound bicycle weight plus 200 pound rider weight using an engine with slightly less than moderate vibration issues? To be safe, I would say three to five thousand miles.

I'd expect a hyper frame that is treated correctly to last a very long time. The thicker tubing makes the frame itself very strong. The only thing that I would change is the wheels and brakes, much as Damien did. However I prefer a classic look so I'd use worksman wheels, which Wrench has gotten many miles out of on his whizzer.

A motorized bike will only last if you take care of it and put time and money into it. If you simply strap an engine to a bike and expect it to last a long time you are foolish. As we like to remind people a bicycle was never meant to put an engine on.

I totally understand. When I built my Grubbee, the forum and the engine vendor were my only source for technical details. One must always stay on top of their build and treat it like a motorpickle of yore-checking all fasteners, chain, tires, frame and such. My Cranbrook was starting to break where the vertical stand mounted and I had a mechanic strengthen it with some MIG welding. I didn't expect the engine/clutch to last more than 1,000 miles, and it surpassed that before it was stolen-Gearhead 437

Dear Zean-The dent is very minor and not close to any welds, so I am not worried about it. I consider myself lucky that it arrived in the shape that it did! The Cranbrooks I saw at Walmart had been left outside and had major dents on the tubes that arch back to the rear hub!-Gearhead437

Back