Indiana Motorized Bicycle Laws

Anton

Administrator
Staff member
Local time
6:28 PM
Anton submitted a new resource:

Indiana Motorized Bicycle Laws - License Required & Registration Required

A motorized bicycle is defined as a two or three wheeled vehicle that is propelled by an internal combustion engine or a battery powered motor, and if powered by an internal combustion engine, has the following:

• An engine rating less than 50cc
  • An automatic transmission
  • A maximum speed of not more than 25mph on a flat surface.

License

You need a drivers license to ride a motorized bicycle in Indiana and you must be at least 15 years of age.

Registration

You must register a motorized bicycle in Indiana and mount a license plate on your bike.
  • Registration fee $26.35
  • Excise Tax: $10
Insurance

Insurance is not required for a motorized bicycle in Indiana.

Read more about this resource...

I'm pretty sure it's legal, legal or not I'm still going to ride

I'm pretty sure it's legal, legal or not I'm still going to ride
Let me know how that works out for ya...lol.

As a retired Police Lieutenant, I would want to be more than "pretty sure" If I were you...Where I was a cop where a license and registration and insurance were also required, we not only made it more difficult for that person to get a drivers licence after getting caught without one, but it would also be reported on a master computer system for insurance companies that once they could drive/ride again with a licence, insurance rates would be very high because of driving without a licence, or suspended or revoked licence being part of the driving record...The same goes for no registration wherever it is required.

And last but not least, your motorised bike would not only be confiscated, it would be destroyed in a crusher.

This is not including the fact that you would be going to court and liable to pay fines and court costs...Also, if your under 18 years of age, your parents or guardians in the State of Indiana are also hauled into court with you and held responsible for your actions and dealt with accordingly.

IC 9-21-11-1
Parents and guardians; authorizing or permitting violation of chapter; bicycles; application of chapter

Sec. 1. (a) The parent of a child and the guardian of a protected person may not authorize or knowingly permit the child or protected person to violate this chapter.
(b) Subject to the exceptions stated, the provisions of this chapter applicable to bicycles apply whenever a bicycle is operated upon a highway or a path set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.

IC 9-21-11-12
Motorized bicycles; prohibitions on operation; conditions

Sec. 12. A motorized bicycle may not be operated under any of

the following conditions:
(1) By a person less than fifteen (15) years of age.
(2) By a person who has not obtained an identification card under IC 9-24, a permit under IC 9-24, an operator's license under IC 9-24, a chauffeur's license under IC 9-24, or a public passenger chauffeur's license under IC 9-24.
(3) On an interstate highway or a sidewalk.
(4) At a speed greater than twenty-five (25) miles per hour.

IC 9-21-11-13
Persons under 18 years of age; operation of motorized bicycle; safety equipment

Sec. 13. A person less than eighteen (18) years of age who operates or rides a motorized bicycle on a street or highway shall do the following:
(1) Wear protective headgear meeting the minimum standards set by the bureau or a helmet that meets the standards established by the United States Department of Transportation under 49 CFR 571.218 in effect January 1, 1979.
(2) Wear protective glasses, goggles, or a transparent face shield.

IC 9-21-11-14
Violations; Class C infraction

Sec. 14. A person who violates this chapter commits a Class C infraction.

Here is the most current IN quick facts on "Motor Driven Cycle".
Definition: A motor vehicle that:

1. has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider;
  2. is designated to travel on not more than three (3) wheels in contact with the ground;
  3. complies with the applicable motor vehicle equipment requirements under IC 9-19 and 49 CFR 571; and
  4. has a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty (50) cubic centimeters.
The term does not include an electric bicycle.
Proof of Ownership: Certificate of Title or Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin; Bill of Sale; or Motor Driven Cycle (MDC) Affidavit - Affirmation of Ownership and/or Cubic Centimeters (CC) - State Form 55714

Insurance Required: No

Registration Fee: View the Fee Chart

Vehicle Excise Tax: View Excise Tax Chart

County and Municipal Excise Tax: Assessed according to county and municipal ordinance, if applicable

Credentials: Unexpired identification card with a Motor Driven Cycle endorsement, or any valid unexpired permit or driver’s license

Endorsement Fee: $0.00 (may be charged an amendment fee)

Operating Restrictions:

• Must be 15 years old or older
  • Helmet and eye protection required if under 18
  • Must operate in a position astride the seat
  • Headlamps must be illuminated while operating
  • Cannot carry package in hand
  • Operate near right-hand edge of roadway unless passing another vehicle or preparing for a left turn
  • Operate at no more than 35 miles per hour
  • Passengers are not allowed
  • No interstate highway or sidewalk operation

Laws can change as well. I picked up a Tennessee DMV book and found out you need more than a class D standard driver's license to operate a motorized bicycle now. Tennessee now requires a class M-limited endorsement. I'm assuming this change has come about due to the increase of ebikes now on the roadways.

Back