broke clutch shaft today solution? stronger machined shaft???

I have been waiting for them to come in stock to place an order (and maybe answer an email!).

The 1.5" roller from BmP website is described as a 80a polyurethane "rubber" wheel. Isn't this a hard plastic like a skateboard wheel? Will this one work better in the rain? I'd rather not drive in rain, but sometimes there are sudden storms or flash floods where I live. (not like Katrina stuff, just water over the roadways in places or puddles)

The urethane rollers are not a hard plastic like skateboard wheels, they're softer. They are more like the rollers that some boat trailers use.
As to use in the wet I've not had much luck with them, I actually get a little better performance from the knurled steel but neither as good as wooden rollers in the rain.

Kids are making friction drive bikes with weedeaters and skateboard wheels. The skateboard wheel material probably wouldn't do anything special in rain but ought to make a nice ride when dry.

Probably the biggest obstacle to these friction drives is that the rollers are only 1-2 inches in diameter. A larger, rough roller that looked like a straight cut cog ought to have a lot more grip.

Even bottle dynos use this pattern on 1/2-3/4 wheels, and don't slip on the tires much.

Not Aluminum!

I just realized that your clutch shaft is STEEL, not aluminum!:unsure:

I would never have imagined that there is such a thing as a one-piece clutch drum/shaft. In any case, that proves it's not aluminum.:geek:

Check your rear support struts. I believe the one closest to your engine is not supporting. That's the reason I broke two Staton friction rollers in my BMP friction housing. They broke at the threads, so it'd cost more to remove the threads than to purchase new clutch drums.

One more thing. If you're going downhill between 35-40mph with a 1.25" friction roller, you are so OVERREVVING your Subaru engine! That engine would NEVER pull your bike that fast on flat ground. You should limit your engine to 30mph if it's broken in.

If your shaft breaks again, they sell heat-treated 1/2" shafts at various online sites. Orrr, you can buy non-heat-treated shafts, tap the end for the clutch drum, then have it heat-treated.

friction rollers

I broke TWO Staton friction rollers right where they connect to the clutch drum. They snapped on my Mits TLE43 engine, just as I was reaching mid-to-high rpm range.

It was all my fault, because I did not install the rear support strut on the engine side. I was using a MODIFIED version of Staton's early-version single rear support strut. When I installed two rear support struts and made sure everything was solid, I stopped breaking friction rollers.

FWIW, the Staton friction rollers were installed on my BMP friction drive housing. I wanted to try 1.375" rollers and BMP didn't have spindles in that diameter.:whistle:

How do you use Staton's rollers with BMP drive system?

Last edited:
Both vendors use interchangeable 1.375" bearings; Staton's have .625" ID, BMP's ones are .50" ID. You can use Staton rollers with Staton-size bearings in BMP's housing. BMP's housing allow the bearings' outer edges to slip-fit. By lightly sanding the Staton rollers' ends, you can easily remove and reinstall the bearings and roller in the BMP housing. HOWEVER, you will need to fab a simple bearing retainer on the outboard side. This will keep that bearing from falling out.

I like Staton rollers better. Since I try different spindle sizes, this setup works great for me.

Where do I find parts?

I just got a bicycle with a Dax friction drive kit on it. On the way home the clutch wouldn't disengage and the clutch bell snapped off from the spindle. I went on to thatsdax.com but of all the parts they sell, the clutch bell/spindle shaft is not one of them. That's all I need other than springs that they do sell. Aside from buying a whole new kit, I wanted to just get the part I need. I hear of people that have found and purchased replacement spindles but haven't posted a link to where they got them. Telling me they got them from bmp does absolutely no good because bikemotorparts is a search engine, not a parts store. I just love clicking on a link that's supposed to take me to my part just for another game of keep away and me tearing my hair out for the right keyword for the part I need. If you know where to get this clutch bell/spindle please post a link to the order form and make sure it will actually take me there.

Back