Having seconds thoughts on a gas motorized bike...

xkwox

Local time
11:46 AM
Hey all..

I have two friends who have suspended licenses like myself, and both have gas motors on their bikes. One recently got pulled over, and got a driving under suspension (IN pa, you need a license for a "moped")

So he is looking at an additional year added on his suspension.

I to am suspended, and fear this happening to me.

The other friend, got pulled over by his town's police. They told him he needs a license and if they see him again, they are ticketing him and taking his bike.

I think the best way to get around this is using an electric motor as it is a lot less obvious and emits no sounds like a gas does. The batteries can be hidden as well as the motor maybe?

Get a rear hub electric motor and put the batteries on saddle bags. Make sure you pretend pedal when passing a cop.

Get a rear hub electric motor and put the batteries on saddle bags. Make sure you pretend pedal when passing a cop.
Why would you pretend pedal when electric bikes are actually defined with federal laws??

i was thinking the same thing

do the rear hubs allow a freewheel/cassette?
They sure do. This site was posted awhile back, but I dunno if anyone has actually ordered anything from them: www.goldenmotor.com

Either way, they've got a pretty nice collection of electric motors, kits, biks, & other products. They also sell Li-Polymer batteries which are the best around... they are friggin' expensive, tho.

Why would you pretend pedal when electric bikes are actually defined with federal laws??

QUOTE]

Because state laws can be stricter than federal laws. Some states prohibit any non-self propelled conveyance for drivers whose licenses were revoked.

They sure do. This site was posted awhile back, but I dunno if anyone has actually ordered anything from them: www.goldenmotor.com

Either way, they've got a pretty nice collection of electric motors, kits, biks, & other products. They also sell Li-Polymer batteries which are the best around... they are friggin' expensive, tho.

yeah, i checked them out. the setup will be about $1200.
and to buy the good battery would be another $1500 :p

QUOTE]

Because state laws can be stricter than federal laws. Some states prohibit any non-self propelled conveyance for drivers whose licenses were revoked.
in the state of pa, an electric bike would be a moped, which you need a license to use. And also need to register it which is impossible.

Well, i guess it's ok for city & state gov'ts to make laws stricter than the federal laws. However, if you really have a less than 750watt motor & a good chunk of change to appeal a wrongful decision [multiple times]... you will prolly be ok.

But who wants to deal with that?? I'm pretty sure most cops wouldn't mess with you, because (around here, at least) they seem to be most worried about noisy 2-strokes being ridden while people are sleeping. Even if they did hassle you, show them a printed out copy of the federal law, and they'd just have to have a really bad day to mess with you.

yeah, i checked them out. the setup will be about $1200.
and to buy the good battery would be another $1500 :p
It's actually $1200 for a complete electric bike, I believe.

If you already have a bike, the kit is $391 for what I'd get... but it doesn't come with a battery. I'd maybe shop around for a regular Li-Ion battery (can't remember if they sell 'em or not)... it really doesn't need to be their battery, just the same Voltage & lots of Amp-Hours.

I'd splurge less than $1900 for a silent eBike with a Li-Po battery, a regen brake controller, & a thumb throttle. But I'm a sucker for new technology.

Back