Chinese Quality Control Standards.

F

fetor56

We all complain about the lack of Chinese HT quality and consistancy in quality but nothing ever seems to get done about it.The same sub-standard engines and mounting kits are still out there and still failing.Sure their cheap but it comes to a point of diminishing returns when cheap only lasts a short time.
Our sponsors do the best they can but their under pressure from other lower priced dealers to compete.I don't profess to know all the answers but i would like to hear other peoples opinions.....can anything be done or are we just stuck with it?
My only solution was to spend more money and buy a 4-stroke "made in japan".If there was a 2-stroke HT made up to a standard and not down to a price i would have seriously concidered it.Please keep in mind i'm in Oz so freight costs also have to be factored in.
To me it seems "brand name" manufacturers are scared to make engines in the HT configuration for fear of liability......sad cos they would be extremely popular.
lemon.jpg

A standard quality upgrade kit as an option.
To do this we all post what part, vote or acknowledge, make a list and then vote on the list.
Present this to our suppliers who can purchase in bulk.
For example, the bolts on the cover plates.
I have replaced them with Allen key bolts, OK, I know they are Hi Tensile and technically not really needed there, but the point is, it's better than the screwdriver crapolar that seem to disintegrate once a screwdriver tries to undo or thighten them and for me it looks good.
Others may have a differant opinion or technicality/idea. As long as it can be made into a kit form, it will work.

Complaining won't get it fixed, so next option is to list all the things that may become the "Quality Upgrade Kit" as a extra cost/option.
Then it becomes a standard.
Hope that makes sense.

I WAS going to post the bolt sizes I used from the receipt, but lost the reciept I bought the bolts from. So any of you who know the actual type, length etc for the sales dude at the counters,post away and we will add this to the upgrade parts list on this thread.
It's trivial, but it's a once only thing and it's a standard we all can identify with later on.

All the best

BoltsM

this is an excellent idea !
a list of hardware sizes to replace prior to first install :D
perhaps if not a vendor, then a member could buy in bulk and spread the good stuff around (ala, how scottm rocked the t-shirt deal)

Cracking idea, I was too disappointed with the quality of some components. The major problem was the poor quality of nuts and bolts, that have began to wear out. A decent carburetor would be also good. Nylon collar locking nuts for the sprocket is an excellent upgrade. Infact nearly all of the nuts that aren't in contact with the engine heat should be nylon locking. Also the gas tank cover should be vent better as it always creates a vacuum in the tank.

BSA

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, I just went to HD with a bag full of bolts and nuts to try and find replacements but it took way too long to find the perfects sizes so if anyone DOES have these specs that would be great!

dude! this is like the best idea ever! lol, not to be over enthusiastic, but i really love the idea! id buy one

OK, well, I will look again for those reciepts on the Allen Key bolts for the covers.
But the way I did it, I put the new engine in a carry bag with a screwdriver and went the place where they only sell Nuts and Bolts.

Then one by one the rep. sized them up and gave me the exact sizes.
I do remember the computer print-out had the sizes and my place right now is a mess with spanners and stuff all over the place.

The other thing I asked at some places is about the cables. What type ot steel cable does not stretch to replace the clutch cable ?
I assume it's stainless steel cable ?
I'll even make it up strand by strand using piano or geetar wire if I have to.
But the cabling we get keeps stretching.

Keep the list happening and sooner or later we get a picture of what is required.

Last edited:
Improvements. MMMMMmmmmmmmm......

I'd like a locking gas cap. Anyone know a solution?
It would also be cool if someone came out with a head kit with some beef on the sidewalls and maybe bigger to like 125 cc and thicker head bolts or something yea.
Oh and gears.

Back