Carb won't "fit" (please help)

calcoastrider

Local time
12:43 PM
I really wanted this motor in this stretched cruiser frame. But a downward-sloping frame tube (under top tube) is preventing me from sliding the carb housing on. Do I have any options in getting this frame to work? (It's so close) Can I remount/reposition the carburetor by soldering a 2 inch pipe to get around that frame tube? This is so frustrating--thought it would fit.

Thanks, Ryan

Can u post some pics please Ryan?
I've seen HT carby intake manifolds which are much long and bent to go around the side of the bike but i'm not sure how effectively they work...they must work though.Their for ppl whose carby's don't have a hope of fitting in the standard form,but without pics of your exact setup it's hard to tell.....there might be some other simpler solution.

I agree, pics will help us brainstorm a fix to your problem
there have been a few custom manifolds posted here already

Thanks...I'll try to snap some photos this evening. Such good progress was being made on both mine and my wife's cruisers (Electra brand)...until I attempted to slide the carb on and noticed the carb won't connect. Looking forward to a hopeful resolution (instead of scrapping the frames, I do like them). I'm wondering how far away one can extend the mounting of the carb. :confused:
Much thanks. Ryan

Thanks, Scott. That's a good thought--unfortunately there still a lot more room in that frame than in my cruiser.

If I rotate the engine mount more vertical then the spark plug connection is in the way. I'm really struggling with this one. Along these same lines, how does one fit a motor in a girl's cruiser frame (I'm also trying this for my wife)? Again, the motor fits up until the carb installation...ugh. Won't slide on the motor due to top tube or middle down-sloping tube. I really hope I don't have to buy two new cruiser frames. (But will if that's what it will take).
Ryan

is it possible to mount the carb to manifold, and then install manifold to engine ?
that's how I had to do the carb on my deviate
or is the space even less?

I seen somewhere on this forum where a dude modified his manifold to go AROUND the frame and thus have the carb a little out but it looked cool like a motorcycle blower assembly.
But were really gonna need pics here.

I would think that having the longer manifold would definately effect the performance. If the fuel is turned into a mist and then traveling a longer distance than the spray point was designed, it would probably turn back into a liquid state and although it might run, it would be a real kink in the power aspect.
Think of a highrise manifold in a car is a little different because it is spraying downward and you can adjust the spray to go a little wider because most vertical highrises taper outward in their journals. Where as a horizontal would be more apt to fall to the laws of gravity and liquify on the way to the intake port.
Just another opinion, for what it's worth.
Doc

Back