• 2-stroke, frame-mounted, belt-driven

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-stroke, rack-mounted, belt-driven

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

grndslm

I'm hoping that most of you will vote based on your experience of multiple motored bike setups, but I realize that's prolly not possible for 85% of ya...

So if you've only had one setup and like it, pick that. If you'd rather change one aspect (i.e. - rack-mounted to frame-mounted, or 2-stroke to 4-stroke) pick your ideal setup (the next one you plan to build within a few months) instead!!

Also, don't forget to say WHY you chose what you did, and feel free to mention your current setup with likes/dislikes.

Here's the thing. It completely depends on what you want to do.

Do you want to maintain near stock rideability of the bicycle and use the engine as an assist or every once in a while? A rack mount is probably the way to go and maybe a good 2 stroke due to weight issues.

Do you want the above but with a quieter ride, likely greater speed (depending) ease of use and avoiding the need to mix? Rack mount 4 stroke, perhaps.

Do you want a "mini-motorcycle" look, lower price and simplicity? 2 stroke frame, maybe.

Want a vintage look? Whizzer.

There's a lot more to go into it.

I wanted a street legal "motorized bicycle" (under 50ccs), but with some power and I am emulating a very early motorcycle look. To me, that means a frame mount 4 stroke heavily worked over to look vintage.

You left out trailer pusher which most floats my boat right now due to anything's possible with a setup like that.
But my bike is the traditional happy time. I love how you can just pedal away and release that clutch and go.
No ropes to pull.
And even years from now when it gains in popularity because gas is 8 dollars a gallon,it's still the best selling configuration for it's the least expensive way to go.
And it will always be fly.
I really have no complains except I don't currently like the way they did the clutch cable. But I'm currently working on a new improved system that will make that clutch pull an effortless affair and be able to use a Walmart brake cable WITHOUT CUTTING THE WIRE end so you can guide it thru the hole.
Stay tuned...it may take a little while but...stay tuned.
That's probably the best part about this hobby. All the still undiscovered areas of improvement we have yet to discover.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a 2stroke frame mount for over a year now
it is a good entry point into the world of motoredbiking (inexpensive)
the main hold back is weakness of the engine (mostly bushing/wristpin failures)
I like the ascetics of a frame mount as well as still being able to use the back for carrying things
as soon as I can afford it, I would love to go 4stroke frame for the reliability factor
but, the 2stoker has taught me much that I can still use if/when I move up the engine chain

You left out trailer pusher which most floats my boat right now due to anything's possible with a setup like that.
Uhh... you're talking about a bicycle or a boat? Either one doesn't seem that great of an idea. A trailer pusher doesn't even sound that great when talking about a car either.

But my bike is the traditional happy time. I love how you can just pedal away and release that clutch and go.
Where do you buy happy time engines from? I've searched hours for a happy time website, but I cannot even find something as simple as that. What gives?

"happy time" is a generic term for 2 stroke, chinese made, fram mount engines- slang, not a brand.

grndslm,

Do you believe that asking peoples opinion, then criticizing it will help your response?

"happy time" is a generic term for 2 stroke, chinese made, fram mount engines- slang, not a brand.
Wow... I would have sworn it was a brand from the way you guys use it.

Are there other slang terms I should know about?

I think the pusher type may be up and coming technology. A good low emission 4 stroke engine with ability to change gearing plus low cost and you can remove the pusher and have a regular bicycle. THe long range application plus having a electric pusher that can carry a battery or a small engine with a generator. When you start thinking out side the box and see something like Stuart has done, it makes motor assisted bicycles a new frontier.

Back