Which Kit to buy?

B

BusDriver

I'm trying to decide on which kit to buy and which bike to use it on. Are the 48cc/80cc kits sold by Kingsmotored, spooky tooth, and thatsdax actually different from each other. And should I get the 48cc engine to comply with the confusing and probably inaccurate maineDMV website's laws, or should I go with the 80cc for the power I might need hauling my bike trailer. I also have 2 bikes I could put it on this one http://picasaweb.google.com/funnyman2002/Bicycle/photo#5105799879191162914
or an early 60s Sears fixed gear FreeSpirit with whitewalled balloon tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several Manufactures of these motors in China,,, and they don't seem to agree on production Quality or Design. Parts from one may or may not be interchangeable! Mostly we have found that they are not.

The engine size,,,,, is really up to you, you gotta ride it,, you gotta be the responsible person. Quite a few folks on here do ride the 80cc and have had little to no problems,,,so far.

The Bike you choose really is a personal choice, I like the fat tire bikes myself. There is another new member looking to motorize his bike and it kinda looks like your. Might look him up and compare notes! Spend some time in the Picture Gallery and soo all the styles of engines that are being used here and also look at the bikes they use them with.

Yeah, Yeah,,, I know you got a bunch of non answers, but it really is up to you.

Papa

ya got you some reading to do, no doubt about it...we have TONS of "non-answers" which we call opinions...and we have TONS of input from consumers about the various engines and suppliers...it's kind of up to you to do the footwork, it's all here..."read everything you can" is the only responsible answer to your oh-so-common questions...then let us know what you've decided.

nice bicycle, i think "Sheik Yerbouti" just finished a build on a similar ride.

ps-there is no such thing as an 80cc happy-time. as far as i'm concerned, i (personally) wouldn't buy from anyone who isn't honest about this.

pps-please read the forum captions to learn where to find and place content.

There is no such thing as ...

There is no such thing as an 80cc engine kit out of Asia. 80cc does not exist, not in an engine kit. Not yet anyway.. Thanks..

Good luck with your build BusDriver.If you have any problems with your build im sure you can get the answers here.

heck yeah...start a "my build" or "whatever" topic in "frame-mount" and let us watch & help when needed :)

while you're waiting for your goodies, read thru as much of the frame-mount & bicycle forums as you can stand...you'll be an expert before you even get started :cool:

heck yeah...start a "my build" or "whatever" topic in "frame-mount" and let us watch & help when needed :)

while you're waiting for your goodies, read thru as much of the frame-mount & bicycle forums as you can stand...you'll be an expert before you even get started :cool:

If he had, he'd had read my review that wasn't very favorable of the kit he chose. I think a first time builder shoudl stick with a reputable distributor.

From the pic of the bike u posted it looks reasonably straightforeward to mount an engine....very handy having that thinner frame.
FORGET about any 4 hour mounting time u read in a booklet or saw on a website...after 4 hours i still couldn't work out my wiring.Take things slow and steady and if u have any questions by all means ask.If u do a descent install now u won't have to redo things later and your whole project will be much more reliable........hasten slowly...the real test is going to come later when u need to fine tune the engine.

Back