Chain Tensioner frame engine drive chain tensioner

Lots of gear lube on the roller or lithium grease might make it last awhile longer. The less the friction, the less the heat and wear. Might have to strip the lube off every so often and relube, if you l;ive around sand or dirt roads.

I was also thinking maybe a gear from a rear deraillier from a 10 speed or mountain bike but how would the chain spacings compare?
That to me would actually be cool for there's nothing in the gear or chain that want to be worn if you follow my drift. It would spin with the chain rather than besides it.

So with nothing better to do today I decided to go out there and salvage a rear derallier from a Huffy salvage bike that I needed that back rim. And wouldn't you know it? IT WORKS!!
Here's a short video:
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a26/largefilipino/?action=view&current=100_0423copy.flv

The pics below is my pretty worn out tensioner along side the derailier sprocket. Remove the bushing and you have a nice hole to slide in a bolt with a couple of nuts.
Also below is my new tensioner that I keep in my toolbox from DAX. Notice the difference. The one I got from Duane is a roller bearing one. I never used it yet.
I'm gonna leave it at this and keep my tensioners in my tool pouch. I mean what can go wrong?
The chain can come off. Easy fix.
I want to see how long this will last.
Stay tuned.

Attachments

• 100_0418 copy.JPG
    100_0418 copy.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 781
  • 100_0421 copy.JPG
    100_0421 copy.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 709
  • 100_0422 copy.JPG
    100_0422 copy.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 720
  • 100_0426 copy.JPG
    100_0426 copy.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 681
  • 100_0427 copy.JPG
    100_0427 copy.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 603
  • 100_0428 copy.JPG
    100_0428 copy.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 682
doc... I've never used a drop of lube on my old-style tensioners....ever gave it a thought. I might now....good idea.

Large....good idea with the derailer sprocket!! keep us posted!! thanks! :cool:

my post was to jetskibill about the tight chain.
Bill...
if you are causing damage to the plastic roller...then a metal roller might start causing wear to the chain. At first, I was unsure of the plastic rollers, but they seem to last a long time. Mine are used more for routing than tension.

I don't think I ever want to use Duane's tensioner wheel cause it's so pretty.
Is there something wrong with me?

Large, looks good and I hope it holds up. Please keep us informed after a few miles.
Dave, Lube can make it last longer due to no friction but if you get the sand in there, it will do the opposite. Will become a grinding wheel, so to speak. So, base your decision on your area and how much you want to maintain it.
Oh ya, Large, does the pitch match perfect on the HT chain, or does it pop every so often?
Doc

It matches PERFECT! It's pretty unbelievable,but there it is cause I know that ten speed chain don't line up with a bmx sprocket but because this gear is cut instead of pointed,the little grooves line right up. I brought the bolt further in as you can see it sticking towards the spokes but still kept it loose enough to spin freely. I took the nut and bolt from an old gooseneck which is perfect cause that bolt has that smooth neck and a flat top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats great Large, I don't know how the metal against metal will last but if you lube it good, should be ok. Like I said, let us know the track record. Awesome!
Doc

It's not metal. It's like a hard plastic teflon. I guess Huffy makes them plastic.

Wow, this is the second time I gotta chew shoe sandwich tonight! Yech! Carry on Large. I would still lube to keep the friction level down.

Back