Likearock's first Project - 70cc Dax + Skyliner

Great pics

Hey, MBers!

Well, the Schwinn Skyliner, Dax 70cc kit, and my McMaster-Carr order all came in, and more importantly, finals are over (!!!!), so I decided to start my very first motorized bike. I really appreciate everyone who posts to MB - without you guys, I never would have even started!

So, tonight I tackled the engine mounts. I used the U-bolt/steel plate design that I saw on here somewhere before (thanks, whoever came up with it!) for the front mount. I figured I'd post a rough sketch in case anyone else is trying to do the same build and is interested (see diagram pic). I'm pretty sure I'm going to put some rubber or leather between the mounts and the frame, like some other people on MB have done. I bought all of my mount parts from McMaster-Carr for really cheap. Part #s are in the picture. My wife got pretty freaked out when she came down to the basement to see what the racket was and saw sparks shooting out as I cut the steel plate. :) She hadn't seen an angle grinder in action before, as she's a city girl. Lol. And the intake/exhaust openings are taped off in the pics so I wouldn't get any steel grit in there...

I have a few questions (already?!). First of all, can someone who's done this before comment on whether the intake angle (and, as a result, the carb angle) is reasonable? I've read a few threads on this subject before, but it can't hurt to have a second opinion.

Also, I've come to realize that my clutch lever arm (is this even what it's called?) seems to be positioned somewhat differently than other kits (even Dax kits). The arm seems to swing much farther out towards the left foot of the rider than with other engines I've seen on MB. I attached pictures of the arm in both of its extremes. Is this normal? At what point along this path does the clutch actually engage/disengage?

Thanks for your help!

Peace,
Likearock

I wish the sites that sell bike engine kits would use pictures half as good as yours instead of their thumbnail size images.

Any pics u get from websites just resize and save them..."Picture Resize Genius" is great for that but it's Shareware(u gotta pay for it)
IrfanView is good and it's free but there is some deteoriation in quality.

Congratulations Likearock...well done.
Keep a check on tightness of everything initially....you'll get to know what comes loose and what doesn't.
Do routine maintenance............................................RIDE.

Pics!

Now that I've gotten some time to work out some of the kinks, I figured I should upload some pics. I definitely decided to weight function over form, but I'm happy with the way it looks, too. Right now, I've got a 12V SLA system powering 2x 35-watt MR16 halogen headlights, 1x amber xenon strobe, 2x red incandescent tail lights, and 1x red LED flasher. I wired the light controls and kill switch to a box under the front part of the seat.

Also, I upgraded to the same seat Mickey uses, the Cloud 9 comfort seat. It is awesome, and undoubtedly the most comfortable bike seat I've ever ridden on!

One question for you all - I've noticed a leak in what I think is fuel (possibly semi-burned fuel?) directly underneath the intake manifold/carb area. I've checked for the source, but I can't come up with anything. I attached a picture of where it accumulates - anybody got any ideas of where it's coming from?

Thanks!
Likearock

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ISwr3LsOig

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 280
  • battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 251
  • controls.jpg
    controls.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 267
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 265
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 255
  • helmet.jpg
    helmet.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 295
  • leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 244
  • lights1.jpg
    lights1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 240
  • lights2.jpg
    lights2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 244
  • lights3.jpg
    lights3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 266
  • lights4.jpg
    lights4.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 253
  • lights5.jpg
    lights5.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 253
  • lights6.jpg
    lights6.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 225
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 241
  • rear wheel.jpg
    rear wheel.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 252
  • throttle.jpg
    throttle.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 245
Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is an older post but I had to say "good job" on the lights. I'm impressed. You did a great job on it. Wish I could set me up a light system like that. I really like your back lights. They are top notch. Fine job!

Correction!

Hey all,
I'd like to issue a correction from my first post in this thread, just so I don't lead anyone astray. The front mount stud holes in my diagram are 4CM apart, NOT 4mm. I'd just edit the post, but the edit time window must have expired. Here's the updated diagram.
-Rock

Attachments

• correction.jpg
    correction.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 229
Back