Bean Oil's Happy Time Cruiser

Here it sits ... and here! ... after it's maiden voyage; a break-in ride of about 20 miles all over town Wednesday afternoon.

Rode another 10 or so yesterday... the thing just keeps getting stronger. I love the popping 2-stroke idle. It sounds a little bigger than 48 cc's... Hee!

(I'm using a 25:1 mix (5 oz) of Motul 800 premix oil and 87 octane for the first gallon; after that I'll drop the mix to 32:1 (4 oz). This is excellent oil; it is one of the best oils available today from what the local 2-stroke pros are saying.)

Rode another 5 miles this evening and now the motor is really starting to run smooth, clean and strong! It takes some restraint not to run this motor to redline! Bwaaaaaaap! LOL. But I'd like it to last a little while...

Here's some of what went into putting this "kit" onto this coaster brake cruiser:

Custom engine mounts... this is the rear engine mount which I made after some basic machining lessons by my friend Anton...

Front engine mount... I made this one too. To be given access to this Korean version of the venerable Bridgeport mill is an incredible luxury for a project like this... I wish I could afford one of my own.

I modified the kit's rear sprocket; countersunk the bolts to clear the brake arm and then "swiss cheesed" the thing for lighter weight...

I was compelled to punch some holes into and round the sharp, square corners on the stout but cheesy chain tensioner bracket (I simply had to)... but thinking it would be mounted this side out, not in... (the adj. slot needs to be positioned one way)

Bought a better (it's a pit bike application) twist throttle and some red grips...

Put the kill switch right by the clutch...

Screwed the kit's fuel valve facing inwards, out of the way for a cleaner look...

Tried to wire the CDI box as cleanly as possible under the circumstances (circumstances being that I wanted to freaking FINALLY RIDE THE THING lol)

It all works! It's nice to ride, and so far, reliable!

And in this last pic, some removable lights if I think I might not make it home before dark...

There's a few more details I need to take care of: things like cutting off excess stud threads, using heat-shrink tubing instead of vinyl tape, etc... but I'm having too much of a good time riding it!

Thanks for stopping by to take a look.

:)~

Good job on the machining, if you don't mind I am going to use your idea for the front engine mount on the Schwinn. I wish I had access to a machine shop. Have fun, Dave

Good looking ride.Those mounts look solid (not being too familiar with frame mounts, at first glance I thought you had bought a frame that just matched up perfectly to the stock mounts.)

very nice indeed. thanks for the ideas on how to do things with the great pictures.

I really like the bike, I love the mounts. And with you blessings I will be copying those mounts for my Schwinn Skyliner, I really did not want to drill thru the frame.

Thanks, fellas! Yes, those are C-cell battery-operated CatEye lights from 20 years ago... LOL... that I fitted (then) with halogen flashlight bulbs. Heh. They're more for being seen 'cause they don't light the roadway very well no matter how you aim them. They do seem to be a bit better when mounted up on the bars instead of where they're pic'd on the forks... I was experimenting.

As for the engine mounts, they weren't really my idea at all! so use it! I was just trying to make the stock mounts longer and beefier, that's all. It was my buddy Anton who helped me determine what size aluminum bar stock to start with for use on the mill. I used to grind camshafts for Engle Racing cams many years ago, so I was up to speed pretty quickly (I like to think lol...) on the mill.

The fact remains, though, that Anton was very generous with his time and experience (he makes one-off parts when they can no longer be found for obscure Italian sports cars). I also did the sprocket at his shop; everything else I did at home, including the agonizing over the exact inline fuel filter to use. Hahaha... the one on the bike is specifically manufactured for use in pre-mix 2-stroke fuel applications: weedwhacker motors!

Again, I appreciate the comments and I do love this form of machinery. There's something pretty cool about motorizing a bicycle...

:D

:)~

Back