Schwinn-dian! Alternative to HT power

W

Wrench66

I've written a couple of times to different folks on here and they all wanted to see what I had done differently to my MB. Well, here ya go fellas.
It's an early 80's Schwinn Cruiser with a mid 70's Indian 50cc dirtbike engine, kickstart, single speed, centrifugal clutch with gear reduction, magneto ignition with 30 watt lighting coil (headlight-taillight coming soon) and a 15mm Mikuni carb. The trick pipe is a combo of the orig head pipe welded to a modified pocketbike expansion chamber I bought off the net ($40 or so).
You will recognize the fuel tank and drive set up as Happy Time equipment.....yep, came from a kit I bought locally but decided NOT to use the engine. I also updated the tensioner by using a motorcycle roller with double sealed bearings (skateboard) and works very smooth with zero slop. I am using a completely overkill chain KMC-910 the should last another 100 yrs by the look of it! I wanted NO hassles with busted chains so I went nuts.
So far I have had this little runner up near 35mph, the carb is jetted a bit fat on top as the engine was four stroking at that speed......will lean it out and should pick up a couple more MPH. Vibration is about half what the HT engines are, I suspect some time was spent on counterbalancing back in Italy and it sure shows.
Those bright sparks on here may notice the engine is mounted up a bit higher in the frame than the HT, the "little Italian" is a touch wider than the HT engines and the pedals would touch soooooo up it went! hehe
BTW....I DID see another bike on here refered to as a "Schwinn-dian" but it didn't have an engine....was a cruiser pdeal only bike made to look like an old timer.

OH Yea, almost forgot.....the front brake is a cool old drum style unit I scored new from a nice lady in PA who runs a bike parts website at http://home.comcast.net/~ginnyrini/gr2.htm . She has them NEW as well as the spokes to lace it to most any rim you wish.
I liked the Whizzer look of it and it is very strong stopping with two fingers, reccomended!

So, wadayathink?

best to all,
Ray

Attachments

• rt side new pipe.jpg
    rt side new pipe.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 905
  • lft side  12-07.jpg
    lft side 12-07.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 801
  • rear view.jpg
    rear view.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 785
Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet machine Ray! How's that little Indian for vibration? Do you have to stand on a milk crate to get your leg high enough to kick the thing over??:D

^ ^ ^ He mentioned in his original post that, "Vibration is about half what the HT engines are, I suspect some time was spent on counterbalancing back in Italy and it sure shows. " which is awesome and now I'm quite envious. LOL.

He has a YouTube vid of it in which he starts the thing with one HAND.

Fantastic solution to, in his words, "Chinese nonsense", meaning the rattletrap Happy Time engines.

Well done, Wrench!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the mounting system but would think it needs more than 1 mounting point but I guess it works! Nice and surprisingly easy to start in the video.
Andrew

Back