MBc-Member Product Review: GruBee Solid Hub Heavy-Duty Axle Kit

A

alesterfeind

Ok, I got my new axle, hub and sprocket yesterday by FedEx from bicycle-engines.com. I called them on Tuesday and got it on Saturday. This is the 2nd order I have made with this vendor, and they have been very quick to deliver both times.

Now, about the hub:

It's HUGE! The picture on the website does not really give you an idea of the size of this thing. I had planned on threading and building my own wheel. After getting it, I realizd the diameter is bigger than my other axle, so I have to replace the spokes as well. I took it up to the bike shop along with my wheel to talk to the techs about it. And, just so everyone knows, the guys at Bicycle's Plus here in Flower Mound were really cool about it being a motorized bike. One guy mentioned, "I have seen a guy riding one of these going north on FM-2499." I said, "That was me!" They can't wait to see the bike once it's put together.

After talking about options, I decided that if I am going to put any more money into this, then I am going to do it right. I purchased a heavy duty rim, (2 ply), new spokes, and I am letting a tech build it so it will be true when I put it on. It was $35 for the rim, $18 for spokes, and $45 for labor. So, it's going to cost about $100 to build the wheel around this new hub, and the hub cost about $50 with S/H. I really think the end result will be worth it in the long run. This new wheel should last forever and run much smoother compared to using the assembly kit we get with our engines that compresses and bends the spokes.

One great thing about this hub is how easy it will be to interchange different size sprockets since it just screws onto the axle. My hub kit came with a 44T. When Andrew gets his, I am sure he can come up with some custom sprockets to fit. I really want a 36T or 32T for my bike.

I should have it ready by this next weekend, and I will post pictures of the parts and the final result.

I'm planning to put pics here when I finish completely. I now will try to solve the lighting problem and come up with the best solutiion I can to generate power for the lights. My goal is to make a street legal cycle which in Illinois means it has to have everything a production motorcycle has to ride on the streets, and the lights must be on all the time when ridiing in Illinois. Mike S

Ever take the pics?

Can I bump this? Pics Mike?

Would it be possible on these brake adapters to use longer SS bolts with SS locking nuts to back them up?

Ted

I'm planning to put pics here when I finish completely. I now will try to solve the lighting problem and come up with the best solutiion I can to generate power for the lights. My goal is to make a street legal cycle which in Illinois means it has to have everything a production motorcycle has to ride on the streets, and the lights must be on all the time when ridiing in Illinois. Mike S

Hi Mike

Academy has a generic 6V 4.5AH SLA battery for $8.99. Name brand for $14.99. From what I understand the HT engines white wire from the CDI is 7.5 + volts at 3 amps. A simple diode to filter any AC would keep it charged. Also available is 6V solar chargers.

Juice can be added to your bike for less than 2 pounds payload for battery, lights (leds) and charger. Find (except for leds) at the deer feeder section.

And no, it won't "steal" electricity from your spark plug.

Ted

Thought I should post again after using this item for a while. I have around 4,000 miles on the Heavy Duty Axle now, and it seems to be working well. I have had 0 problems with it.

Some observations:
There is a little wobble to the freewheels on both sides. Not enough to cause chain problems, but I think there is a little harmonic at around 18 mph. It's almost un-noticeable to me, at that speed I'm usually accelerating pretty fast, so it doesn't last long. My take on it is that it's due to the quality of the machining. Augie looked at it when I was at Ocean Park this summer. His opinion is that the axle is bent. I probably did put a lot of stress on the axle, particularly in the early days when I had it geared pretty low. Since it doesn't bother me much, I'll wait 'til I need to replace bearings to get a good look at the axle. (By the way: Thanks again Andrew for your help in getting the gearing right).

It uses sealed bearings, so I think that when they wear out, I'll be able to get quality replacements from any good auto parts store.

Lacing my 3 speed wheel I learned that if your spokes are too long you actually can get away with it. It's hard to explain but the initial spokes used for tension as long as they are the same size can tension up then when you get the set that crosses the other way if it's too long make it a 4 cross instead of a 3 cross.
I hope this made some sense.

I think that was their intention, though I use a 7-speed freewheel. If you use a single-speed the strap brake should fit easily.

Back