coaster brake with sprocket ?

G

gauge

i just recevied my dax 70 engine kit and im wondering if the sprocket will work with the rear coaster brake.

you will have to grind the center hole of sprocket a bit to clear the dust cover (little ring), and you might have to bend the brake arm so it clears the mounting bolts for sprocket

dax shows a little and so does spookytooth in their install pages
I thought it was here but can't seem to find it

in my case (shimano cb-e110 coaster brake)...i had to enlarge the center hole to 1 3/4" to clear the hub, & bend the arm out to clear the sprocket hardware, then back in to meet the stay.

hope the pics help a bit:

Attachments

• MVC-604F.JPG
    MVC-604F.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,786
  • MVC-605F.JPG
    MVC-605F.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,383
Yep, exactly. Grind it, then bend it. If you have to dish your wheel over to the bicycle drive side then you may need to add a spacer on the outside of the coaster arm to keep your RW aligned...or buy new rear sproket bolts with thinner heads so they dont hit the inside of the brake arm.

Hey, nice moto drive pic's augi. that looks slick.

:confused: Augie, did you have to take your coaster brake arm off; install the sprocket; then put the arm back on? Is there some magic trick to do this? As it sits right now, I'm not sure how to proceed.

you are soooo lucky i happen to have another coaster wheel here right now.
yours may differ slightly, but this is the general idea.:
Mvc-681f.jpg

hold the arm, use a wrench on the nut and remove.
grind out the center hole on the sprocket to fully clear any metal-to-metal contact.
install sprocket.
using a vise and hammer, bend up at the red line area to clear the sprocket bolts, then back down at the blue line area to meet the stay.
put the arm back and tighten down with the nut.

the arm attaches to the inner bearing cone, so be careful to not rotate it on the axle, or you may mess up your bearing adjustment.

Thanks Augie. That did the trick. I just wasn't using a big enough persuader. I'll post some pix on my "saga" thread this evening.

Back