Throttle cable to long?

to long cables

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know where i could get a motocross grade throttle cable for my bike, because mine broke and i dont feel like fixin it again after i fix it!!!

thanks,

jon

I cut my throttle cables to fit. If you will look close the end that fits into the carb it has a very small collet soldered on. Heat this end up with a propane torch and with small pliers pull off the collet pull the inner cable out of the cable housing fit the outter housing from throttle to the carb to check for fitand to measure for the proper length. Then cut the outter housing with a dremel cut off wheel or sharp wire cutters. put the inner cable back in the outter housing and of you want to lube it now is the time to do that. I use a measurement of about 45 mm of inner cable sticking out of the outter cable. Then I solder the small collet back on then trim off the excess cable either with the dremel cut off wheel or sharp wire cutters. Sounds hard but very easy to do. If you out there don't want to try message me and maybe I could do the job for you.
Norman
nice, informative first post ! :)
perhaps you could 'introduce yourself' and make some new friends?

Am I missing something because I would just cut the cable to the appropriate length?

BSA

if you cut the throttle cable you lose the little end that pulls the carb slide
it's as simple as that !

I use a soldering iron and apply solder (silver/lead) in thin coats until I build up a small "end" that pulls the carb slide. I use a dremel and grind and cut it to the appropriate shape. Total time it takes is less than 15 minutes and I have a perfectly sized cable.

Shorten the throttle end

All bike shops have "ZIRKS" ... they are drumshaped like your current tab is that rides in the throttle coller track ... cut and shorten your cables from that end ... slide on a Zirk, grip it with vicegrips as you screw in the screw that locks the zirk to the cable ... dremel off the screw till what is left looks just like what you have now ... slide the drum back into the circle slot on the throttle coller ... 2 minute job. Zirks are about a buck in 2 sizes ..

Zirks huh...i prefer that idea of customizing the cable from the throttle area.
Sounds like a lot less hassle.........handy info,thanks.

Just insert the cable wire thru till you have at least an 1/8 inch tag end which you also cut off flush. Some shops carry only the slightly taller zirk which sticks out of the throttle catch hole a bit. If that happens just cut a slice off the end of the zirk taking the screw off with it ... the balance of the threads lock the cable wire tightly.I actually use 2 vicegrips, one to hold the zirk,the other to tighten down the screw much harder than a screwdriver can. have over 900 miles of use on Red peril build and 550 on the Stallion build with no problem.

I haven't checked lately, but in the old days I was making extra long brake cables for tandem bicycles, with cable ends available at a local motorcycle shop. They were made of brass, turned on a lathe. Just slip one on and solder it in place. They had a variety of sizes and styles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back