Setting up R/S35

I am not bama

Both rear wheels GEBE sells are a proper 4 cross pattern.

14g or 2mm is .079"

12g or 2.7mm is .105"

A nickel is .070" thick. two dimes held together is .100" thick. Hold the dimes or nickel on the spoke and feel. There ya go. :cool:

Spokes

I will post more pics of my R/S35 later today for all to see. So far things are going good. Murphy has only made one appearance in the form of a broken cover. Just like BAMA said..they do break !! I was going to put duct tape under there with a washer on top but couldn't find my duct tape?!?#%!! Anyways...I emailed Julia at GEBE and requested a new one. When I get the new one I am going to duct tape it on the underside and get two rubber washers for the top and bottom to dampen the vibration ( I only ride in the city ). I have experienced the fuel fill problem with the Robin engine and have to lift the rear of the bike 3-4 feet off the ground after I fill halfway.. to let the gas go to the front of the tank........then I can let it down and fill the rest of the way up. I am hoping I ....or someone else, can come up with a solution to the gas problem....IE: larger tank...secondary tank. Bama said he was going to start a new thread about tanks...but all I see is info on 2strokes....nothing specific to the robin. A big issue for me is noise....I want to buy / mcgyver a good quiet muffler of some kind ( any help out there?? ) I don't care if it cuts the performance...right now I can go 25-26 mph and in my opinion that is too fast for me 20 mp is plenty fast IMHO. Soooo...muffler help please...anyone??? BTW...you can measure the gauge of your spokes with a wire cutter / stripper tool.

The worst thing for those plastic covers are gravel roads !!!

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5531

If you reinforce the cover at the beginning, another trick is buying "reflective red tape" (expensive, $5 a yard at AutoZone), cut two swatches and put it on the back of the cover.

10 square inches (or whatever two 5 inch strips calculates to) of reflective tape exceeds bicycle requirements.

While you are at it, are sure everything is aligned right, is check the strap connection to the bike.

I take two long zipties together and go from one of the open holes on the strap, near the mount, and around the fender post, as insurance in case a pothole jumps out in front of me, cracks the strap.

Happened once in Missouri, then GEBE bulked up the straps, no hassles since.

A work in progress....

Ok..back with pics. Like I said earlier..the plastic cover broke b4 I duct taped it, but I went ahead and did it after the fact anyways just in case Julia doesn't send me a new one. I duck taped on the underside, and rubber and vinyl washers on top and bottom...with the rubber on first against the plastic cover side to dampen the vibration and prevent further damage. Now...to the legs. I measured from the underside of the engine bracket / main support from the center as close as I could get to the axle for a pivot point to drill the holes in the main support. I know there is a better way..like using a square or something straight across the bar someplace and then measure to get it on the money...but I was desperate to ride and took a few rough measurements and started whacking and drilling. I had the gear side a little high but compensated buy reaming out the main support holes I had just drilled a bit bigger, and it looks pretty good now. Drives well...runs well..starts on first pull almost always. I did shut it off while in the park for a few minutes and had a bit of a time starting it but no problem since. I have about 50 miles on it now and the oil is looking dirty...I think I will change it. The small amount it uses for a change is worth it to me..doesn't appear hard to do...I have a old antifreeze tester I will use to suck the old oil out and replace it with new. I also recommend wrapping the kill switch wire that runs from the engine to the handlebars with electrical tape to protect it. It is quite flimsy the way it comes. I added the tie straps from the seat post to the front bracket for safety against failure of the strap and the engine falling backward and engaging the throttle full blast, as BAMA in his travels has experienced this failure and said it could be catastrophic to you and anybody in your way.

Attachments

• rsinstall 008 [640x480].jpg
    rsinstall 008 [640x480].jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 430
  • rsinstall 009 [640x480].jpg
    rsinstall 009 [640x480].jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 399
  • rsinstall 011 [640x480].jpg
    rsinstall 011 [640x480].jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 394
Last edited by a moderator:
A big issue for me is noise....I want to buy / mcgyver a good quiet muffler of some kind ( any help out there?? ) I don't care if it cuts the performance...right now I can go 25-26 mph and in my opinion that is too fast for me 20 mp is plenty fast IMHO. Soooo...muffler help please...anyone???

Mufflers/silencers used to be stocked at GEBE, are ordered straight from the manufacturer now.

The toll free number is 1-800-4JETPRO, ask for Dino.

They are on "California time", so don't call early.

learning lessons !

Tonite came up at a stop light and intended on blowing thru it but there was a car coming...I hit the brakes fast and hard and the front brake kind of locked up. I reached down and moved it around and it fell back in place. It was binding against the left side of the front wheel and went back into place when I wiggled it a bit..scared the **** out of me!! I was going about 15mph when this happened. I'm no brake wizard so what happened??? Help guys?? I was going up a slight hill and the engine started poopin out...I was running out of gas! The robins tank is real ****..12 miles and it was going dry..at least I got a warning cause of the hill and put in 22 cents at the nearest station and made it home with plenty to spare. Soooo...good brakes...xtra gas...so far are lessons learned. I need to get a MSR fuel tank so when that happens again I dont need to worry. The robin seems to be breaking in good..running stronger..faster and starting easier ( a partial pull at compression point 90% of the time....no regrets on the robin. 85 miles to date.

Now you guys know why I had my Bikes rear arse in a tree!

Yep larymor, you & I seem to travel on both normal roads & trails.

I don't know what your trail experience is like...but I go over EVERYTHING!
& Bama would probably chime in with my Dad & say I am an idiot for putting a bicycle where I do & want to go faster than the Robin will allow you to.

But the placement of the Robin fuel tank leaves me a bit nervous.
When you RIDE a bicycle, the terrain changes as much or MORE than an
Automobile!

So I do not want the engine to fail on me on a steep grade (whether it be in traffic or rough trail)
So I am anal about the tank always being completely full.

& I have learned to sit in traffic & go THROUGH certain stoplights.
(but not every stop light for obvious reasons)

WHY?
Because when I sat & waited for "walk" some motorists did not observe it/or see me etc.
Engine or NO Engine I still tried to walk the bike across & could have been hit and seriously injured!

It would be easy to blame this "cell phone distraction" on the ladies.
But I have reverted to sidewalks during heavy traffic & engine or no engine have had to lock it up from men on the phone.
This is way worse than "drinking & driving" but I don't want to go there here....
Different Thread!

I Always (when I leave & anywhere I am going with the Robin engine) I make sure it is COMPLETELY FULL!
If I have to stick it in a tree to completely fill it then I do!
May look stupid & be a pain in the arse...but It's better than the engine failing you in traffic or other conditions!

Hey, putting an engine on your bike was supposed to be fun right?
Well, it IS or we would not go through all of this to do it!

BTW, I have about 7 to 800 miles on my Robin.
& STILL working out the kinks on my new bike with it.
Have not rode it WITH the Engine yet....

As it TURNS OUT the engine sits straight up & perfect on my new Ironhorse Mountain bike with room for the belt etc.
A very happy circumstance!!

But I need a slimmer tire for the belt to clear so that is why I am on tonight.
I had this problem with my other bike also.
My Dad just "got rid" of the bumbs on the tire with some sort of tool.

Basically, on the "belt side" of the tire we shaved all the portruding tread off & made it smooth so it would not rub against & destroy the belt.

Now I am going in a different direction & am looking for a new tire that will fit the rim but be Thinner as everthing else on the GEBE lines up perfect!!

Any & all info Greatly appreciated!!

Starrman15

Tonite came up at a stop light and intended on blowing thru it but there was a car coming...I hit the brakes fast and hard and the front brake kind of locked up. I reached down and moved it around and it fell back in place. It was binding against the left side of the front wheel and went back into place when I wiggled it a bit..scared the **** out of me!! I was going about 15mph when this happened. I'm no brake wizard so what happened??? Help guys?? .

One thing I learned was to make the front/rear brakes operate differently. My back brake is "soft", I use it 90% of the time, to slow down, while the front brake is "hard", grabs for instant stopping, or stopping at low speeds.

I can't recall a time when I had to really jolt to a stop using the front, the front being the one that causes the more perilous situations.

I'd advise never using the front brake until momentum is less than 10mph....

Since most of the action is on the right, throttle/braking and slowing down is semi-automatic. Just get it where the back doesn't "grab" you to a stop, but has about 60-75% of the pressure compared to the front.

When you adjust to the area, the busier intersections, you'll get the hang of being observant. You are still in the "looking for shortcuts" phase, even though those northern plains are basically straight shots with no alternative/parallel routes.

As you ride more, car riders will get used to seeing you too.

adjustments, mufflers, Xtra fuel, nasty big cars

Starr,

Yes..I am also getting very cautious on the gas thing. If I even go for a 2 mile ride I fill it again even though its just a few drops. I'm gonna try that Willie in LA thing with the MSR tank I am going to get and will keep you posted.

I have a Vertical brand aluminum MB and my tires were ok for belt clearance. Did you get a different wheel or is it stock? My spokes are 14GA stock and seem to be holding up good so far..( knock on wood !! ) We have paved trails here along the river and in the center of some residential areas which I have been on.. using the motor. The sign when you are entering says NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES...$100 FINE...so is my bike a motorized vehicle? It is certainly motorized...but is it a vehicle? I will have to look into that one...meanwhile I shut it off when I see walkers coming...the bikers dont seem to mind me though. I haven't had any problems with the Fargo cops yet. It seems their main concern is DUI and speeders 15 mph over the limit. I slow down and do the fake pedal when I see them...they always drive with their windows up so the only way they will hear me is if they pull up right next to me. Too bad we gotta worry about them when we are not hurting anybody with our bikes and are conserving energy also.

Bama.

I am going to adjust those brakes today as you advise. I am used to riding motorcycle so I thought it would kinda be the same but its not...as I am finding out. I got some electrical ties yesterday and put them on from the seat post to the front engine strap. After my near crash with a car yesterday... I am going to be overly cautious with everything !!

I have also learned that even if you ride in the center of your lane cars will still try and pass you. I was going 25mph n a 25mph zone and a car tailgated me till she could pass.....I could see her shouting obscenities at me in my rear view mirror..then..almost clipping me when she passed. It seems cars will always try to pass you even if you are going the speed limit...unless there are oncoming cars and they cant! Thanks for the muffler lead also...I haven't called yet. I was thinking about maybe adapting a new oil filter for a muffler. What holds on that piece of flex pipe that comes out the side of the motor? does it screw into the stock muffler with threads? Are there threads on the exit side of that stock muffler...so if I rigged a muffler or bought ine would it just screw in?

Back