I am Electrified !! US Pro-drive / Currie

srdavo

Local time
8:57 PM
Hi y'all,

I spent yesterday installing my "antique" Currie kit on a sturdy Mongoose mtn bike. ok...it's not antique. more like obsolete! :LOL:

Everything went together well. I got impatient building the mount for the battery box.....so, heavy-duty zipties to the rescue! I will finish the mount soon & right, as I have to replace the batteries. Seems sitting on the shelf for the last 3 years has not helped battery life. seems to charge only to 40-50% of a full charge. (these batteries are possibly 10 years old. time to replace.)

I did a couple test rides. smooth.....quiet.....fair amount of torque....12 mph top. with new batteries it will run a solid 18 mph.

I'll post some pics later.

600 watt motor
24 volts

59_100_1455_1.jpg

59_100_1456_1.jpg

59_100_1457_1.jpg

more to come......

Looking good Davo. Looks like a good, straight forward fit.
Whatcho running 24v? How many amps?

Before you replace the batts with sla's, consider using a Nimh or NiCad pack. They are really cheap now and the weight saving would mean better performance and range. Plus you don't have to change them so often. Lead acid batts are great for big amps, but if you don't need the amps go light.

FatPete said:
Before you replace the batts with sla's, consider using a Nimh or NiCad pack. They are really cheap now and the weight saving would mean better performance and range. Plus you don't have to change them so often. Lead acid batts are great for big amps, but if you don't need the amps go light.

Can you post a link to some Nimh & NiCad dealers & info. I searched the web & realized I don't know what I'm looking for :? :LOL:

the standard Currie sla batteries are 12 volt, 12 amp and weigh nearly 9 lbs. (it takes two of these, to make 24 volts)

thanks in advance

Srdavo,
I have not done business with any of these folks but the first one (ebikes.ca) is highly recommended by the ebike folks on other forums.

http://www.ebikes.ca/index.shtml primarily so you can read what he says about the recent increase in battery costs. Also click on batteries to read the difference in types.

Check out this guy http://ebatteriestogo.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=D5745-AB

This guy http://www.ebikeconversions.com/pb/wp_83756b98/wp_83756b98.html?0.5172162457053038 may have batteries and controllers,chargers, etc

Keep in mind that a battery upgrade probably requires a charger and controller upgrade. EDIT: Talk/email Eric at ebikes.ca and he will explain what you need

thanks for the links. I'll look into some batteries.

I finished the brakes & added a cyclometer. a fresh charge this morning, & it runs 13 mph.
All I need is a comfortable seat & some taller handlebars, so I can sit more upright.

59_100_1461_1.jpg

59_100_1459_1.jpg

now that looks like a solid contraption...did the hub adapter come with the original kit? whole hub or wheel maybe? is there any whine coming from that lil chain-drive?

i took a closer look at the adapter, interesting, any chance of an even-closer look?

augidog said:
now that looks like a solid contraption...did the hub adapter come with the original kit? whole hub or wheel maybe? is there any whine coming from that lil chain-drive?

i took a closer look at the adapter, interesting, any chance of an even-closer look?

the hub adapter is part of the motormounting plate with the kit. the motor has a little whine to it.

closer look?
59_100_1464_1.jpg

59_100_1463_1.jpg

59_100_1462_1.jpg

Back