frame cracks

azbill

Local time
8:33 AM
I was cleaning my bike today and found the frame is cracked !!! :censored:
my seatpost tube is at a severe angle and it has cracked above and below downtube :eek: :eek:
the cracks wrap all the way around the seat tube

I dropped my seat all the way down hoping to re-inforce it a little

my question is , if I weld the cracks, should I make some kind of wrap-around gusset to strengthen it ?
I'm thinking wrapped around seat tube above downtube,and welded to downtube

as of rt now I am off the road and very bummed :devilish: :devilish: :devilish:

I can't take a pic rt now cause the cam is in canada with vinnie
but here is a pic showing where cracks are
122_frame_cracks_1.jpg

I may have to retire my chopper because of this ( I love this damn bike too!!!)
I do have another haro v1 i can put motor on, but then I am rt back where i was in friggin january when I decided to sell that one to build the deviate

man i am so pissed rt now :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish:
i just had to vent

cracks

Hi AZkronic well Lemme tell you how Farmer John would fix your bike frame.
1) clean all paint off the cracks
2) carefully weld the cracks, with brass or aluminum shaft inside so seatpost will still work, and not be welded in
3) make flat steel Gussets to re-inforce the tubes, these should run straight forward and backwards AFTER the tubes have been welded and the seatpost still works in the frame
4) touch up the black paint
5) commence to ride it like you just stole it,

Mike

thanks Mike
have already started sanding cracks
will get welded soon I hope
the seat tube is cracked vertically behind down tube, thats why I thought of a wrap-around gusset (just for extra steel there)
was thinking a 'u' with open end facing tank, legs welded to downtube

You can weld up the cracks but I suspect it will crack sooner. Unfortunately each time you weld something you deteriorate the metal, the gussets will help. I have had a lot of trouble with Vibration, and it looks like you have your engine out there on a spring, if you can get a brace over to one of the head bolts, or another brace from the front engine mount! Good looking bike. Have fun, Dave

crap, bill...that sux :censored: . i think your 'feet-falling-off-the-pegs'-vibration is the culprit. until you get that solved, this may just be the beginning of cracks (but we hope not). sorry man :cry:

the vibration prob is from the sprocket flexing on back wheel
5 rings flex too much
(changed to a 44 tooth and after installin 5x to get it centered and true, I thought I was done)
my next purchase will be a 24" wheel w/disc and freewheel, I plan on mounting sprocket to rotor

this problem is because of the design of frame
the seat tube is at almost 45 degrees
this causes seat post and tube to take a sideways pressure when you sit on seat (the reason why I can't use a suspension seatpost)
the seatpost caused the seatube to crack because of this
the only thing that was keepin my butt off back wheel was about an 1/8" of steel
most bikes , when you sit on seat, the weight is almost up n down
this one its almost a lever
I need to find a the longest 25.4 seatpost I can , so I can use it as more re-inforcement

sorry for the rambling, but this is giving me a mass headache and pissing me off terribly

Its the angal of the seat post down tube that stoped me from buying one , AZ if you have a small welder and the time cut that darn thing out and put in a new one more vertical if you can
1271_122_frame_cracks_1_1.jpg

sorry its so crude but I think you see what I mean

or put 1 in vert as posible and lets build you a seat pan I think between iride and me we'ed make you a sick one off from that.... what cha think Dan?

I was thinking a seat pan myself
the angle is so severe, I think thats what was causing the seats to fail
(broke 1 spring, totally lost another)
gonna keep sanding and thinkin

Back