How to remove engine sprocket. - drive sprocket - pic

T

The Hornet

I am going to be replacing my engine sprocket this weekend and had a few questions.

I heard that you have to remove the clutch arm and ball bearing first....is this true?

How do you keep the engine from turning over while you loosen the nut?

Do I have to use that wierd tool that came with the kit?

Any other surprises?

it is very important to take out pin ... ball bearing is ok but if you leave pin, it will damage clutch when you tighten gear puller (it pushes pin n bearing too far and bends the clutch plate allowing bearing to get jammed)
I did that and that is why azvinnie's trike is now electric :eek: :(

I have NEVER removed my front sprockets.

Inside the shaft, where your front sprocket is attached, there is a clutch pin & a ball bearing. I believe you should pull the clutch pin out before you try to pull your sprocket. (sometimes the ball bearing will roll out...sometimes it won't. )
Yes, time to use that funny tool that came with your kit. If you leave the clutch pin in the shaft, the sprocket puller will have to push the pin a long way before the puller ever makes contact with the shaft. this will probably stress the moving parts on the clutch side.
when you screw the puller into the sprocket, use a wrench to make sure it is seated snug. ya don't wanna pull any threads loose.

ok....gearheads, jump in anytime now...... :)

as for loosening the nut....I'd do that while the chain was still routed to the rear wheel. then you could hold the wheel to keep your engine from turning, if needed.

OK...before I get REALLY confused...

I am talking about the sprocket that the chain runs around that is mounted to the motor, not the big sprocket with the clutch attached.

The Hornet said:
OK...before I get REALLY confused...

I am talking about the sprocket that the chain runs around that is mounted to the motor, not the big sprocket with the clutch attached.

that's the same sprocket we're talking about. the pin pushes thru to the otherside of your engine to disengage your clutch. do you follow?

ABOUT ENGINE SPROCKET REMOVAL

Remove the metal dowel in the center of the sprocket. Use an impact to remove nut. Put sprocket removal tool on to sprocket. Use impact wrench to pull sprocket. Done..

What if you don't have an impact? Can you keep the motor from turning over if it isn't mounted in the bike?

I see that we are all on the same page now....

if you put a wrench on the nut , you can give the wrench a quick smack with a hammer and it will loosen the lock washer/ring under the nut ...then it will come off easily :D :D
I read that on another forum and it worked when I did it
when re-installing , make sure the teeth on lock-ring bite into nut not engine or it won't stay tight

azkronic said:
if you put a wrench on the nut , you can give the wrench a quick smack with a hammer and it will loosen the lock washer/ring under the nut ...then it will come off easily :D :D
I read that on another forum and it worked when I did it
when re-installing , make sure the teeth on lock-ring bite into nut not engine or it won't stay tight

I tried this last night....It works just like you said. Also, the puller worked great, using regular wrenches. no need to run out & buy any impact tools! :D
Hornet; there is a piece of keystock that fits in both the sprocket and the engine shaft. Be careful not to lose it when you take things apart.
Let us know how it goes for you.

Back