direct hit spark

From memory, a person who i once knew (some years ago now), maintained and tuned a Ducati privateer race bike for the Australian Super Stock series.
They tried using a system either identical or similar to the Direct Hits system, and found it not to give any extra horsepower, regardless of how much their hopes and prayers would influence the dyno.

Maybe this new version of Direct Hits is different?

Crikey, this is a fairly serious claim if it is to be believed, especially if only a happy time magneto is providing the power:

Pulse plugs feature a unique capacitor-based circuit that captures energy normally wasted by spark plugs and generates a spark with 20,000 times greater energy than any spark plug.

Dunno don't own a Ducati privateer? Just know what I have personally used it on myself.. lol. ''Shrug'' I hear at the automotive race tracks they just use a real hot Mallory ignition system or something similar instead.

I would not use it if it did not work for me and they make and sell them :giggle:

So they tried a different system?

Last edited:
Nope, they reverted back to the standard Ducati plug leads and recommended spark plugs, "for racing use."
Back then those capacitor things were stupidly expensive - I remember a figure of $120 each, but when you are racing money is no object for a technical advantage, if in fact there is a technical advantage.

Why are These said Ducati leads said to be the same as D.H. attachments? I mean they are made by entirely different manufactures from opposite sides of the world...

Last edited:
I will go to a NGK B6EGV two steps self cleaning hotter from the NGK B8EGV and report. However I just cross referenced on the net and will see at work if we have a W20ESZU Denso. In better words just for kicks will run with out the D.H. again for a few and study to finish my own empirical testing.... If I don't like something about my zippyness than will simply screw the D.H. back on for a look see in seat of my pants butt dyno in all rpm's sense of integrity.

Also if the said hotter plugs cannot match the massive brightness and intensity of the D.H. simply grounding to my jug for a look see? Well it is a giving I will be set in my ways to go straight back to it right away..

Just put a fresh NGK B8EGV and bet it will be fouling very soon without aid of the D.H.? That is what happened before mebbe 3 days tops last fall season right before winter set in? Got a nice Chocolaty ''tan'' brown going on ATM but have some deposits with my old DH and B8EGV combo that built up towards the electrode.. These deposits are no doubt from idling at stop lights and the reed valves reflect this,,, as a slightly rich mixture at idle aids the motor to run perfectly at Idle rpm... This plug combo has remained undisturbed in it's tomb since last October.

I am told that for our elevation/climate here that a 5 to 8 heat range is ideal. Had two other new spare D.H's lying around and for the life of me just cant find them ATM. Thinking that the D.H. that I have used for friggin forever now @ 9000 + miles could use replaced too? There is good odds that I will no doubt get me anther Pulstar Direct hit again and implement it into my mix from my personal experience's

Cleaning spark plugs is something I just don't ever do. It is pretty darn rare I ever even take a look see with my previous habits. Basically I know if my motor is running right or not and why with out looking....and this motor blows it self out @ 12,000 + rpm's . lol

Problem is on a 49cc some ought engine, a 21mm carby, with carbon fiber reeds and race ready motor,,, well it can be picky with climate change. Now in the hottest months of summer and my currant elevation to boot the air may just be a tad thinner? This is why We don't fly hot air balloons in the summer here lol.

My plug is not self cleaning now like it did in the winter with ice on my door step.. Currently have no intentions of re-jetting as the motor runs as strong as ever right now at every RPM exactly like I want it too. So we are talking plug heat range and spark intensity as far as I am concerned. pretty much know exactly what I am up to and why I used it. Not my first rodeo..

So I will give it the rest of this summer and report into the fall 'Shrug' Will very likely have my mind made up completely tho in about one week. These Pulstars were invented here at this currant altitude in my home town. Folks at sea level may not have a clue??

Last edited:
This was quick..

Well did not get a new spark plug after all only thing at work was a resister speck.. After more thought a NGK B7EGV will be a perfect plug next go around after judging electrode wear. Did my usual run/route from the place of work I go to and home every day. So think i think personally it is pretty fair to say its a controlled test of sorts.

The new NGK B8EGV plug did not foul yet and was actually tan in color, but the bike lost a ''tiny'' bit of pep. That familiar edge was gone that even the old plug/combo was still recently giving me .

So I cleaned up my old D.H. Cleaned up old RTV silicone gasket maker, silver print painted all my terminals for good measure after brake cleaner, Q tips and over all careful examination.

Then put a perfect coat of new RTV on the plug porcelain when I twisted/threaded the D.H. on and for added voodoo at my plug boot side as well. Thoughts....? on nice clean crisp well insulated set of connections done with dielectric grease . No oxygen can get in and no carbon trailing can occur..That is my fresh thought out time capsule. Should go all the way into this winter. ''may not really be necessary shrug but this is how I roll with this set up lol''

Did move my fuel mixture screw in about 1/3 of a turn to make up for hot thin summer air and left my main jet alone.. My over drive ability cleared right up again to my old power house. I am done with it and still using my original old Directhit..Chears

Back