FEDERAL LAW SAYS YES !!! And now State Law too ? Yes !!!!

T

thatsdax

Interesting that the new law passed in AZ now conforms to the Federal law making motor assisted bicycles of 48cc or less technically a bicycle and are legal to go anywhere a bicycle is allowed to go with no license. I did not know that it was a federal law all this time. And those states that do not allow them are bucking Federal law. I learned all this by going to the spooky tooth website and also procuring the federal and new state law information forwarded to me by spookytooth. Way to go Spooky !!! Now..If we can just get all 50 states to abide by federal law ..That would be Great !!! Help keep America Free !!!! and ... Fun too...Imagine that.. Having fun and conserving fuel at the same time. Wow !! What a concept. Enjoy the ride....

thanks very much to spooky & dax for this great news...washington state, here we come 8)

ANYwhere a bicycle can go? Wow...that could get ugly. I think I'd (and probably most of us here would) prefer to avoid some bike heavy areas out of courtesy. Plus if you can take a 48cc machine on citytrails, then why not an 80cc? (rather, the police here aren't dutch, and are not going to measure displacement)
Time for some sleuthing on my part....

If you've got the sources handy DAX, please post them. I'm digging around, but would love to see what you've already found.

even if it's legally a bicycle, i'm sure hazmat laws will still apply in many cases re: "anywhere"

in pacific county, i can't put my bike on the bus-rack because of fuel, period.

shoot, i keep mine inside, no probs with fumes at all except when i had that leak which is totally fixed now, but boy did my eyes water for a coupla days there :yuck:

and, get this...one of the local grocers lets me park inside the door, they're just cool that way 8)

If at all possible please send me this info (the federal reg.s), I'd like to have it with me when I ride, and perhaps begin the process of lobbying here in WA to change the RCW restrictions. LET THE REVOLUTION BEGIN! :LOL:
I've always been a bit upset by the fact that washington considers electric powered bikes to be bicycles, but (under 49cc) motobikes to be mopeds and therefore restricted, and needing licensing.
Cool! I can now build that motorized mountain bike I've wanted, AND take it on the trails!!!
Thanks so much for that!!!
Rif

uncle_punk13 said:
If at all possible please send me this info (the federal reg.s), I'd like to have it with me when I ride, and perhaps begin the process of lobbying here in WA to change the RCW restrictions. LET THE REVOLUTION BEGIN! :LOL:
I've always been a bit upset by the fact that washington considers electric powered bikes to be bicycles, but (under 49cc) motobikes to be mopeds and therefore restricted, and needing licensing.
Cool! I can now build that motorized mountain bike I've wanted, AND take it on the trails!!!
Thanks so much for that!!!
Rif

I went to the State patrol office in Chehalis, Wa. to get some info on MB the lady there was totally dumbfounded. She gave me some brochure and a person who to call, but when I got home and read the brochure it was totally unrelated the bicycles. So I went online to get some info I am still waiting to hear from WSDOT.

Back