Finding Performance By Accident

D

Dr. J.

Today I found a performance improvement by accident. I have three bikes with Kings 80cc (70cc) motors. One bike always seems to have more punch than the others and has a higher (louder) pitch. After looking, I found that the only real difference was that the strongest running bike had a "Sparky" spark plug boot and 20 year silicone Accel Yellow Jacket 7mm solid copper core plug wire. I changed to the same setup on another bike and it gained about 2-3 mph with no other modifications. The new plug boot has very low resistance and the stock plug boot has high resistance to help remove unwanted radio frequencies (RF). Many spark plugs and spark plug caps use resistance to remove RF that interferes with TVs. The plug I prefer and use is the Denso W20SF-U.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/24-6710.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Plug wire

Ya, I had a similar experience. I found a 7mm plug wire laying on the side of the road and I unscrewed my old wire and screwed the one I found in where the old one was and I instantly gained power. Lots of it too. I am not sure if the wire is even pluged in correctly because I unscrewed the little nipple on the top of the spark plug, and the plug wire I found seems like it wants that little nipple on the spark plug. Even though It does not have that it seems to rum lots better. I need to get that little nipple off of a old spark plug.

mars

Mars, ya, you just start unscrewing that wire from that little box. There is like a little sheet mettal screw in there that is holding it in.

my wire snapped in the middle from the cold and being twistedso it's time I got a new one which I will shorten to fit.

Plug wire

Ya, I think the shorter the distance from that little black box to the spark plug the better. More power from the spark.

I've been wondering about the copper core wire myself. It seems expensive and hard to find for it doesn't jive with today's automotive electronics.
The automotive wire on my happy time does the job but it's a no brainer that a direct transfer by way of copper will give a better spark than a carbon wire.
I'm really scratching my head here as to how to get just one wire, It seems only the high performance places have this and won't part out their wire sets that start off at over 100 bucks like it's gold.
There has to be another way. 5 bucks sounds like a good price for a copper core coil wire. Heck. I'll pay 10 bucks for it.
(edit) It looks like when I searched e-bay for copper coil wire they have it in different colors and in 10 foot rolls. I may get the red one,and since it's 10 feet and I only need what...6 or 7 inches...I may pass it around. I'll have to see what this month brings me then I'll report on this....unless someone already did this and have some laying around? 5 bucks okay by pay pal for...6 or 7 inches?

Last edited by a moderator:
well what iv been doing is levaing the sparkplug cap o and not removing and going to the auto shop and geting new wires and just cut them and twist them in to the cdi it works and seems to give more of a saprk why well

lets say here a solid weather prof car plug works better then a some what open stock plug and also to say i dont like the fact of seeing two very slim metal grip things that barley hold up to heat keeping my engine spark going

just my advice if you fill up to it later

Back