Another Golden Eagle

D

DougC

I have a Golden Eagle setup I got together, though I haven't rode it much yet as the weather's been bad (IL winter).

http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dci...cumbent/moto_bike_page/motorized_bicycle.html

I though about doing this all summer long and when I finally decided to do it, I went to buy the bicycle I wanted (Rans Fusion) and it was backordered a month. So it all got pushed to later in the year than I had hoped, and I don't like riding in cold weather if I can help it. So I don't know how much I'll be riding it until springtime.

One thing I noticed about the drive ring is that it keeps a lot of tire pumps from fitting on. I have presta tubes but I don't know that schraders would do much better..... there's only a few micro-pumps that will fit, did anyone else notice this? (-I didn't have any other problems that weren't caused by the oddball bike choice-)
~

Welcome

My problem with pumps was I chose the cheapest one to take on the road with me, and when I had to use it on the Florida trip, but it would get me enough to get to the next service station, to purchase 50 cents worth of air.
My bike shop showed me Pesta, and I knew that would not give clearance under the ring, but I've never had a problem with Shraeder.
The "bicycle meditations" after that Florida trip (which was the warm-up for the Denver trip) made me interested in trying to build the indestructible rear tire/wheel/tube. I described it somewheres else in the forum.
But I was new to the whole "bike thing" last year, I had to go through Avalon/Huffy/Schwinn and WesternFlyer before settling on the Sun Cruiser models, and the feature I liked best was that it had the fattest tires as standard equipment.
Anyway, welcome to the forum.

paul

Nice work & webpage. I liked the Episode 5 Gas vs Electric. I could cause alot of drama on the Tidalforce page with those comparisons & probably will! I can only speak for myself & say there is no comparison and that e-bikes are overpriced pains in the arse. For me-- the battery technology just isn't there yet-- not to mention I kinda like the fumes & a little noise.

DBR :devilish:

the main reason I got the 2 stroke is $$$$$$$$
I can't afford $400 for the setup with the li-ion batteries,
$300 is a tease with the giant lead-acid batteries.
$200 for a gas engine $100 on replacement parts for an old junker bike and it's a sweet ride.

elect

You forgot to mention going less than 15 miles on a charge and going no faster than 20 mph if you weight is less than 150 so goinggrocery shopping would be out

GEBE Comments

Were included above in GEBE "Sticky" above and maybe should have been inserted here or in one below???

Hive,

This was an early post, back when we were just getting acquinted with Tom's new forum setup, then Augie's active moderation (I think it was before we knew how to upload pix).

I'm about 170 pounds, and the smallest engine has carried me thousands of miles, but I am STILL in the minority, the GEBE's that have arrived thus far are mostly in the 35cc category.

So, just like the early days of the forum, I'm still learning about stickies and a clear way to organize the discussions.

NOTE TO EVERYBODY- I know zilch about any other system besides GEBE, I found out about them in a 2004 Popular Mechanics article:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/adventures/1276826.html?page=2/

I understood the premium pricing for the mileage acquired, and have personally tested the endurances.

AND I found a bike shop/Snapper dealer who takes care of both parts of my equation. I will slowly gain "engine knowhow", but I haven't even had to change a spark plug/air cleaner yet !!!

Anyway, I think folks over 200 pounds should look at the 35, and folks under 199 pounds can get there as fast, or faster and quieter, using the 25.

I am clocked constantly and consistently at 33-34 mph on the 25cc., both by neighbors speedometers and those flashing speed warning signs.

Anyway, I'll put a sticky up for each type of engine, and then common ideas and topics can go below the stickies.

Once more folks arrive, we should have enough experts to answer all the questions.....

Yes, I think you have got it

right there.

I am on the cusp with winter weight at 210 and fighting weight at 180.

Need sun...still, the 33 Tanaka may be best of both worlds, but I love that GX25. When I return from Springfield tournament, will make decision.

Need all advice I can muster.

UPDATE

I ended up with the little Tanaka, but as of 5/11 have yet to mount it and run it. Will post pics etc when I do.

Doug's observations are very interesting. Got to hand it to him, powering a Rans CF (Crank Forward) is very mod. I bought used Burley Sand Point and put the Tanaka on the back to go up hill. Plan to pedal mostly, but it is nice to know I can flip on the power when I want to do it.

Lots of insight from Doug on needs for suspension frames etc to consider when buying a bike. I agree too that 20 - 25MPH is about tops, if not too fast, and very tough on frames, not to mention a person's bod.

I've got a Worksman on order for the GEBE kit.

I ordered it off the website, they charged my credit card and I didn't hear anything for two weeks..... So I phoned and asked, and they tells me that the typical delivery wait time is 30 to 45 days.

I haven't put anything new on the website because the engine's just been sitting.
~

Back