Dual Drive Hub

DuctTapedGoat

Local time
2:35 AM
So, first the paraphrased summary, then the optionally read rant, and lastly, the materials I have been acquiring through getting screwed over and being "misinformed" (lied to through ommission).

Where can I buy a "dual drive" hub? The right side would have to have standard direction threads, and the left side must have reverse direction threads, both with standard thread pitch and diameter.

:eek: :::::<Optionally Read Rant>::::: :eek:

I got screwed over by some jackwagon ("boygofast") on eBay for what was claimed to be a rear axle for motorized bikes. Well, as luck would have it, it's been over 45 days since I bought it (had to save the money to get it laced up, buy good spokes, etc). I finally saved cash to get everything I needed for this new rocking wheel setup, and the bike shop says they can't fit their standard sized spokes through the spoke holes on the hub. So I tell them to find spokes that will fit and I'll buy them instead of the standard ones. I get a call 3 days later stating that they couldn't find any spokes that large, and that they could just order me a hub that served the same purpose. I pick up the hub, everything is looking fine... until I throw on the threaded sprocket. They gave me a flip flop hub (standard direction threading on both sides), which COMPLETELY destroys the purpose of getting this hub. I am such a huge supporter of the true moped, but I am so against the way they tell you to install the sprocket, it does nothing but kill wheels. I thought I had finally found a solution, but alas, roadblock on the path to progress. Anyways, as I began looking around online, I realize that for spokes and nipples alone I would be looking at 150+ dollars for the spokes it calls for. I'm not sure where to go now to get this done - I don't want to buy a wheel that's going to die in 5 months building it by the book, I KNOW that this setup is truely the way to go if you're operating a motorized bike, but why is it that I can't find hardly any information on it?

This is the eBay listing where I got the 32H Steel Hub W/36T Sprocket.

HTML:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170532714665

:eek: :::::</Optionally Read Rant>::::: :eek:

I guess I'm on the hunt for a solution now, I have an aluminum flip flop hub laced to an aluminum wheel with 14G steel spokes, a steel "dual drive" hub with removable bearing races, a 12 tooth right handed freewheel sprocket (pedalside), a southpaw 36 tooth freewheel sprocket (chaindrive side), and a rather lacking budget.

Given the parts that I have, what do you think I should do/what can I do/who can help me at least get on the right track?

Last edited:
So...I take that this isn't the hub to buy because its flip-flop, spoke gauge?
I was going to buy 2 of them, one for the front. Then iI was going to put both sprockets on the rear for my cruzer.

How a flip flop hub works, and how a "dual drive" hub works.

So...I take that this isn't the hub to buy because its flip-flop, spoke gauge?
I was going to buy 2 of them, one for the front. Then iI was going to put both sprockets on the rear for my cruzer.

If you're referring to the eBay posting, then that isn't the one to buy due to the unnatural spoke size (due to the cost of high gauge spokes, nipples, and rims). If you had a rim that could handle 10-12G spokes, and 64 10-12G spokes, then by all means, go ahead and get it.

If you're referring to the one that I received from the local bike shop, they gave me a flip flop hub. A flip flop hub is designed for bikes which have no shifters, and only one sprocket on the pedal side in the back. If you ever wanted to change gears, you could take off the wheel, flip it over and use your other sprocket from the other side. The reason this is possible is that both sides of the hub are right handed threads. If you were to use a flip flop hub for your motor's chain drive, when your motor tries to accelerate it will unscrew the sprocket from the hub.

That's why you need right handed threads on the right side of the hub, and left handed threads on the left side of the hub, so that you can tighten each side down whether you're pedaling or using the motor.

EDIT :

I am curious why you would want to put that hub in the front... the only reason you would EVER put a rear wheel in the front would be for a second flip flop wheel if you wanted to have 4 possible gears with you at all times for whatever reason.

Are you thinking about buying two so you have both sprockets? You can buy sprockets individually for 15 bucks a piece elsewhere. Also, the sprockets have freewheel ratchets, so you could tighten it on the left side of the hub (where it's supposed to go) but if you were to tighten it on the right side the freewheel would be ratcheting when you attempted to pedal.

There is a proper way to do this with the dual drive hub, but I have yet to find a solution for under 200 bucks (total cost of all parts).

Last edited:
curtisfox, you're a lifesaver!

HTML:
http://www.staton-inc.com/store/products/Rear_32_Hole_14_gage_Hub_Left_and_right_hand_threads-863-0.html

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Pretty steep price for a hub, but I think I can make it happen and get mobile again. I recently moved 35 miles away from my hometown, and as luck has it, within 2 weeks the "sprocket and spoke sandwich" killed 6 spokes. It's a shame that the motor kits don't come with proper hubs, the "dual drive" hub is definitely the way to do it for major commuters and travelers.

I was really hoping to find something 40$ cheaper, but it takes what it takes to get some things done right.

Last edited:
That didn't take you long to find. Glad to help.
I don't know why there is not a sprotet hub to weld right to the rear wheel hub,and just bolt the sprocket to it. As long as you have a clutch it would be the same as rag joint salid. I did that 50 years ago and it worked great.

I gave up looking for something like that, the closest I could find was a clamshell adapter, but it seems like it's too close to the sandwiching concept I'm trying to avoid. Here's a link to that if anyone is interested in looking at it. I was unable to determine if it did some kind of "hub sandwich" or if it was just a more elaborate "spoke sandwich". It might prove useful to someone else, especially if they plan on changing their wheels out a few times.

HTML:
http://livefastmotors.com/Gas-Powered-Bicycle-Motor-Clamshell-Sprocket-Adapter-Small.html

The reason for two hubs. the rear is obvious, front duel disc brakes.
Now for the back, why couldn't you flip the freewheel and mount it in the same direction as the motor side. I don't know, I haven't seen it yet, but looking at the picture, it looks like it is pressed in the sprocket mount. If you dont mind, can you take some detailed pics of it and email it to me? nbpracing@hotmail.com

Last edited:
Yep both of them are much better then the rag joint.

I gues I am just old fashion. I would just take a round flat and bore the center and drill it for sproket and weld it on the rear hub. If its needed to change wheels just make another.

Back