Rear mounted engine on mountain bike

Here are some pictures of a rear mounted Chinese engine on a Walmart Mongoose double suspension bike. I used aluminum angle and the only tough part was the muffler extension. The cables needed to be replaced with longer ones. The ride is very smooth as you can imagine and after numerous tweaks to get it right, I am very pleased. I originally tried using rubber vibration isolators - Big mistake, it caused the chain to jamb and a sudden stop! Experience is a great teacher.

Attachments

• CIMG0600.jpg
    CIMG0600.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 10,593
  • CIMG0601.jpg
    CIMG0601.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 4,059
  • CIMG0602.jpg
    CIMG0602.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,996
  • CIMG0604.jpg
    CIMG0604.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 2,047
  • CIMG0605.jpg
    CIMG0605.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 2,081
I tried a carb extension but I couldn't make the motor idle properly and it was hard starting. So I tilted it and it works just as it did before on my non-suspension bike.

Ace1

what a differant and unique motor mount for that kind of engine and bike style. You did a wonderful job on the muffler extension. I must admit though it does look rather on the odd side ,but i could get used to it .

good job on this build and making it work.

Thanks for the Kudos. One thing more needs to be done and that is to make a bit of a heat shield over the muffler extension. Right now its a pretty good bum warmer on a long haul.
Ace1

Not bad, not bad at all. I like it. All rear rack mounts look a bit on the odd side in my opinion, so don't feel bad. But I still preffer all the **** out behind me brother in arms.lol I am building a HF Greyhound rear rack Mongoose full suspension MB. I like seeing how guys are getting these China girls on rear racks though.

I will be giveing this thread a blow by blow as I go. Should be no shortage of info as far as how everything is going along. And it should move along. As far as I know I am done stalling to look and order and such for parts and conponents I should need. Even know my final ratio already. BTW I am going jack shaft with belt drive on this build.

Back