Engine wont start please help!

kovan

Local time
3:01 AM
Hello fellow motorists.

I just bought my first 2 stroke motor about a week ago. i had to take it to a custom welder to get a custom mount. i got everything together and all is good but one problem. it wont start. i no i have everything connected and fitted correctly. my uncle is a mechanic so i took it to him and he is mind boggled. the problem is that when i pull the clutch in it goes into neutral then i start peddling and let the clutch out and the gears are not turning. also the generator is not spinning either. but it all changes when you take the spark plug out. everything runs just like it is supposed to gears turn but there is no spark to fire up the engine because the spark plug has been disconnected. i have tried everything please help!!!

Thanks,
Kovan

sounds like the clutch is slipping due to the compression of the engine. Hope thats it, simple fix, there are threads all over the site, you can easily find them. But all you should have to due is tighten the starnut enough so that it doesnt rub the pads when the lever is pulled in. You may have got a bad engine and some may be bad in the clutch mech. Good luck, any more info would help.

the problem is that when i pull the clutch in it goes into neutral then i start peddling and let the clutch out and the gears are not turning. also the generator is not spinning either. but it all changes when you take the spark plug out. everything runs just like it is supposed to gears turn

http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=27957
This thread seems to closely match your description of the symptoms. Sounds like a broken woodruff key. There is enough friction to turn when not under a load, but when you add compression you have no movement.

are you talking about starnut on top of the sprocket inside the gearbox?

Yes. It is called "flower nut"
1. remove the small lock screw from the clutch outer plate.
2. squeeze the clutch lever in and use wire or tape to hold it in.
3. Using only your fingers, no tools, turn flower nut in until it is snug, then back it out 1/2 to 1 turn.
4. Remove wire or tape from hand lever and release clutch. Try out the clutch action by walking the bike around. Squeeze the clutch lever and the clutch should slip. Release the hand lever and the clutch should grab.
Do not run the engine with the little lock screw and gear cover removed!
6.You may need to fine tune the position of the flower nut.
Each time you need to turn the flower nut, squeeze the hand lever to release the clutch spring pressure off of the flower nut and the flower nut will turn easily with your fingers.
7. Adjust flower nut so the next available screw slot aligns with the screw hole in the clutch outer plate and install the lock screw. It is easiest to tighten the lock screw when the clutch lever is released and the clutch outer plate is held securely by the clutch spring tension.
8. Reinstall the gear case/ clutch cover.

i did what you said and yet i am still having a problem the gears in are not catching at all. and the slight chance when they do decide to catch it is only until you pull the clutch again it will stop catching

i did what you said and yet i am still having a problem the gears in are not catching at all. and the slight chance when they do decide to catch it is only until you pull the clutch again it will stop catching

Check the position of the clutch arm.....when you had it off to install the chain was the flat side towards the motor?

yes it is and when i pull the clutch in it turns to a more rounded cylinder like figure

This is beginning to sound like one of the woodruff keys has sheared.
This has been a very frequent diagnosis recently, very strange.

Before getting all involved in the how to's of checking the woodruff keys;

1. Be sure that the nut in the center of the engine sprocket is tight.
2. Be sure that the nut in the center of the clutch is tight.
You will need to remove the clutch outer plate in order to gain access to the clutch center nut.
3. Be sure that the slotted screw in the center of the pinion gear (small gear that drives the clutch ring gear) is tight.

Back