Scooterguy Mount With Tanaka 47R Engine

5-7HEAVEN

I might not have mentioned my center-mounted Tanaka 47R engine on my Diamondback Response bike. It originally had friction drive and a different engine. I wasn't too happy with the setup, so I'm trying the Scooterguy drive/shift kit.

I fired the Tanaka 47R engine up today for the first time. it took me months to figure out how to connect the Scooterguy front mount to the Diamondback's "strongbox" frame tubing. The used engine was purchased online from a goped forum. It just needed an air cleaner, and gaskets for carb, intake and exhaust.

It is LOUD!:sick:

The bike just threw the new chain, so I'll take out one link.

Hawaii Ed is dropping by tomorrow to adjust my derailleur. We'll have pictures then.:geek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I removed one link, which tightened up the engine drive chain again. To adjust the chain, one needs to loosen all the Scooterguy bolts and nudge the entire assembly a bit with a rubber mallet. Hopefully this tight chain will stretch "tsukoshi" (a little) and settle in.

The "Trevor Thompson" exhaust manifold was severely damaged, so I replaced it with a new ADA manifold. It's a tighter fit, hopefully no leaks and QUIETER.

The 5:1 gearbox has the 11-tooth sprocket, so it should also be FAST!

I'll be at the park for test and tune until Hawaii Ed and his friend arrives. This is its maiden voyage. Hopefully, this bike will be roadworthy so we can ride to McD's a half mile away. The derailleur needs adjusting;hopefulley Ed can fix that.

Pictures soon of this bike, as well as Hawaii Ed's Happy Time/SBP shifter and his neighbor's twin-Honda/Staton chain drive/NuVinci!:geek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking forward to the pics and the updates on scooterguy and double nuvinci. Ya'll must must some fun hanging out and cruising:D

Hawaii Ed and Rick, my new friend arrived at my house this morning. Ed replaced and adjusted the derailleur and we were off to McD's. Ed has his Happy Time engine/SBP shift kit. At present, Rick has single Honda 1.6hp with Staton/NuVinci(awaiting second engine and Staton twin-engine drive box). Mine is Scooterguy mount with Tanaka 47R.

My engine mount shifted again and loosened the chain. We ate at McD's first, then Hawaii Ed adjusted the mounts, which tightened the chain. Less than a half mile, the bike threw the engine chain, so we pulled over. Ed and and Rick adjusted the mounts and 10 seconds later, my bike threw the chain. This time Rick lengthened the chain, Ed readjusted the motor mounts. Less than1/4 mile away, the bike threw the chain again. This time, I told Ed and Rick to motor on, and I pedalled/pushed my bike home.

I will need to drill holes thru the frame, to keep the mounts from dropping down. This will secure the engine mounts and prevent movement.

I also need to replace the ADA S1 pipe with the stock muffler. The pipe is right where my left leg is, and I've got the burns to prove it! LOL!

Actually, it was a good shakedown cruise! Rick's engine is very quiet. Ed's engine is very quiet. At one traffic stop, I asked Ed if his engine was running. He said yes, and blipped his throttle.

I have a VERY loud engine. I might use two mufflers.:whistle:

Hawaii Ed will post pictures tonight. Thanks for all your help today, Ed and Rick!:bowdown:

After incurring second-degree burns on my left thigh, the ADA S1 pipe was replaced with a stock muffler. While removing the pipe, I noticed a LOT of oil had blown out near the new exhaust gasket. This was because BOTH exhaust bolt holes were crossthreaded, not allowing the exhaust flange to seat. A quick fix was to install two locknuts behind the exhaust flange.

No wonder the engine was LOUD. That had confused me, because the ADA S1 pipe was always able to quiet down all my engines, even the GP460.

Hawaii Ed dropped by and helped me remount the Scooterguy drive kit. It was necessary to drill through the bike's frame to securely mount the Scooterguy system. There was no other way to keep the engine secure. With the engine mounted solidly, the Tanaka 47R engine fired up quickly. It sounded MUCH more quiet than its first maiden run. Ed said it's quieter than a moped, so the bike should not be a cop magnet on the road. LOL

Throttle response was good, but sluggish. Ed said that was because I was starting off in high gear. LOL Ed has a shift kit, so I let him testride my bike at the park. Unfortunately the original chain snapped, so a new KMC was installed. Ed got the bike up to 30mph before the bike developed "chain suck". Testride is over until the new SBP shift-stop arrives.

Looks very promising. The engine did not shift out of position and throw the chain. The bike weighs just 55lbs., so with 2.8hp, I should be able to keep up with Hawaii Ed.:giggle:

I dunno about our friend Rick. Instead of buying his Staton twin engine drive kit, I loaned him my 5hp GP460 engine. With his Staton/NuVinci drive, Ed and I might be smelling his fumes down the highway on our rides! LOL!:bowdown:

The Jump-Stop chain guide from SBP arrived, so I installed it. The bike chain was replaced with a new one AGAIN, and off I went for a testride in the nearby park. Everything worked very well, but I need to find my shiftpoints. Next came the downhill ride. Right before I pushed off, the engine chain grabbed my right shoe laces. Must make a point to double-up on the lace knot to shorten it.:sick:

The Scooterguy chainring sprocket for the bike chain is much too small, maybe 21teeth. Must try a larger chainring, because pedalling this bike is literally going nowhere.

Engine runs fine, not too loud, shifting is unbelievable, even if it's only 5 gears available. Shifting from 1st to second, and second to third is AWESOME and VIOLENT! The entire bike wiggles like a swimming fish for an instant, upon each shift. Engine rpm drops and rises on shifting. Too much fun!

Unfortunately, the bike chain slipped past the Jump-Stop and wrapped around the BB again. This is the second new chain that broke within an hour after being installed. When I got home, I repaired the chain and installed the correct XRAM derailleur. I also installed a hoseclamp directly above the Jump-Stop, to stabilize it. A wooden spacer will be placed behind the Jump-Stop guide, to keep it from going out of adjustment.

"The White Lady" is fixed and ready to go. It's midnight, and I can barely wait for daylight!:giggle:

5-7,

Sounds like we encountered the same problems with our 76/78 mm cent. clutch frame mount shift builds, I didn't get the jump-stop but interested in how it works out for you. I instead just cleaned my chain and it stopped the chain suck for me, for now anyway.

Here are a few articles that I read/used that helped me.

http://www.fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

http://www.ehow.com/how_14193_avoid-chain-suck.html

http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/chainsuck.html

http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/instruct.html

I have not had a friction drive to compare these builds too, but I think you are setting up a build that you will be very happy with after you get the everything adjusted.

I shift mine down and put it on the big rear cogs to climb hills/mountains like a champ without pedaling, and then shift it to the small rear cogs on flats and fly.

I do not have to worry about broken spokes with any thing mounted to them, or excessive tire wear with a friction roller eating them.

I love my setup, you will love yours too.

Hawaii Ed will confirm that I have had MANY flat tires on friction drive. In fact, I've probably had more flat tires than anyone else on this forum.:sick:

Ed is dropping by; he can adjust my Jump-Stop guide.

Hopefully, the new(correct) derailleur will help to stop chain suck. I'm just glad that the rear wheel does not freeze up when the bike chain wraps around the bottom bracket.:bowdown:

The tanaka 47R engine is wheezing in first gear at top rpm. Methinks it's the flame arrestor in the Mitsubishi muffler that's choking the engine, just like it choked the Mits engine. I'll remove the flame arrestor screen. It'll make the engine a little louder and the exhaust fumes are hitting my leg. I'll redirect it with a length of hose and install the $6 muffler from SBP.

On the hill near my house, I started at the bottom in 1st gear, shifted thru all of them and ended in 5th gear at 30-something mph.

In the right gear, the Tanaka 47R has EXCELLENT pulling power.

I need to correct this chain suck. It seems to be one of only two problems. The other is the 20-tooth chainring. It must be replaced with maybe a 30t sprocket.

Hawaii Ed dropped by and checked out my bike. He straightened out a bike chain link and said the derailleur and Jump-Stop looked okay. Later, I removed the fire arrestor screen in the muffler, installed a 1/2" exhaust hose and SBP muffler and went for a testride. The engine sounded a little quieter, which is a good thing. I babied the shifting while running on a stretch of road. The new derailleur performed flawlessly. However, in a few minutes, I heard clanging sounds. The engine drive chain fell off its chainring sprocket and had dropped onto the bike chain, which then fell off its sprocket and onto the bottom bracket. Luckily, both chains easily slipped back onto their chainring sprockets. However, for some reason, the engine drive chain was moderately loose, but good enough to motor slowly home. I can't believe that the engine drive chain came loose, because the Scooterguy drive is securely bolted onto the frame.:geek:

Methinks I have to align the engine drive chain better. It is an 8mm chain and VERY heavy duty. I also need to take a better look at, or replace the KMC bike chain. Maybe I'll try the Shimano chain that Hawaii Ed is using.

Back