Huffy Cranebrook problems need help

fizzman911

Local time
5:37 PM
I know a lot of you must have had the idea of shoving an engine into one of these huffy cruiser bikes, it looks too good to pass up right? Anyways, I have had some problems in my endeavors that I would like to ask for some help. First the engine chain keeps rubbing onto the side of my rear tire. I have flipped the sprocket to give me a little more room but its still a little close for comfort. Second, it was hard for me to install the break arm after putting the sprocket in the rear wheel. I had to really tighten the whole thing down for it to even fit in there. Then the break arm kept rubbing onto the nuts for the Sprocket Clamp Assembly. Has anyone had these same problems? Also, have any of you guys tried putting a front brake on this bike? Thank you very much for your help. This website has really helped me out a lot, it has been a great guide and resource.:geek:

I know a lot of you must have had the idea of shoving an engine into one of these huffy cruiser bikes, it looks too good to pass up right? Anyways, I have had some problems in my endeavors that I would like to ask for some help. First the engine chain keeps rubbing onto the side of my rear tire. I have flipped the sprocket to give me a little more room but its still a little close for comfort. Second, it was hard for me to install the break arm after putting the sprocket in the rear wheel. I had to really tighten the whole thing down for it to even fit in there. Then the break arm kept rubbing onto the nuts for the Sprocket Clamp Assembly. Has anyone had these same problems? Also, have any of you guys tried putting a front brake on this bike? Thank you very much for your help. This website has really helped me out a lot, it has been a great guide and resource.:geek:

Are you talking about a bike like this. http://www.motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=1014 If so then there are fixes. Start with the brakes. I have done it both ways, using the coaster brake and doing away with it. Also on both builds I installed front brakes, and use a single brake lever. As far as the coaster brake you can either enlarge the sprocket hole as I did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3IPgvZLccI or either cut the lip off the bearing cup or do away with the cup totally as some here have done it all ways. I like the bearing cup intact. As far as the chain rubbing, the engine needs to be mounted higher up on the seat tube, and since it rubs this tells me your sprocket is not mounted properly. Is it dished side out?

Last edited:
Are you talking about a bike like this. http://www.motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=1014 If so then there are fixes. Start with the brakes. I have done it both ways, using the coaster brake and doing away with it. Also on both builds I installed front brakes, and use a single brake lever. As far as the coaster brake you can either enlarge the sprocket hole as I did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3IPgvZLccI or either cut the lip off the bearing cup or do away with the cup totally as some here have done it all ways. I like the bearing cup intact. As far as the chain rubbing, the engine needs to be mounted higher up on the seat tube, and since it rubs this tells me your sprocket is not mounted properly. Is it dished side out?

Yes the bike looks very much like that. The sprocket doest fit in the bike and goes all the way back. the problem im having is that the whole set up is very close to the wheel so no matter what I am able to do the break arm still touches the bolts on the sprocket. Also my engine is mounted up fairly high. The sprocket is turned to have the teeth farther out. The problem is the father I try to move to sprocket from the wheele to make more space for the chain, the harder or impossible, it makes it to install the break arm.

You will need to take the coaster brake arm off the wheel and bend a offset in it. The nuts on the sprocket bolts are on the inside of the spokes correct?

Attachments

• arm%202.JPG
    arm%202.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 835
Last edited:
Yes correct. I guess I will just bend the break arm. I though that maybe there was another way fo doing it. THank you for the help. Also, what kind of front brake could I get for my bike?

I did away with the coaster brake axle. I didn't like the rear gear ratio when peddling to start it, plus I'm going to get a shift kit and I need a multi speed set up.

1. Front brake
2. Rear brake
4. Shorter bolts with nylon locking nuts on the rag joint.

Attachments

• P1110073.jpg
    P1110073.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 834
  • P1110074.jpg
    P1110074.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 828
  • P1110076.jpg
    P1110076.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 887
Last edited:
i hade this bike at one time
1st i took off the coaster wheel and bought a good 12 guage spoke freewheel one and then i bought a skinnier tire then get a u brake they have these cheap at bike shopes for around 15-25 dollars

i hade this bike at one time
1st i took off the coaster wheel and bought a good 12 guage spoke freewheel one and then i bought a skinnier tire then get a u brake they have these cheap at bike shopes for around 15-25 dollars

I myself like the wider tires on the road. ALL bikes/parts that I have used for my own or my son's bike (with the exception of tires and tubes) either came from one laying around, yard sales. freebies, and even picked up the sister of my Huffy upon leaving the landfill here.

Ron, thanks for that info. Your set up looks great. I have a question, you put the chain idler differently. What are the pros and cons of this? Themotorbikeguy, did you change the rear wheel because it was rubbing? how much did the freewheele cost you? do you have any other suggestions for this bike? Thank you all for helping.

Back