12v lighting for Aussies at a reasonable cost

R

reddbak

Just finished a system and thought it may be a handy reference for others on a modest income. NB: I’m an amatuer at wiring and circuits. :D

My main concern was being seen by cagers on the round-a-bouts here in Bundaberg. Most give-way, but there's the odd fool who ignores the scooters/bicycles. That's why I have the motor, for faster "Get me the heck outta here situations!":cool:

Details for the system as Item - Type - Source & Cost:
Battery – 12V 7Ah sealed lead acid – Battery Warehouse $40
Junction Box – Zippy Box – DSE $4.00
Master switch – Push Pull - **** (Richard?) Smith Electronics (DSE) - $5.00
Lamp switch - Mini-Togggle - DSE - $3.50
Kill switch - Mini-Toggle (momentary off) - DSE $1.20
Brake switch - Micro-switch - DSE - $3.50
Indicator switches – 2 of Push button SP miniature (momentary ON) - DSE - $3.20
Flasher unit – Electronic 2 pin - LED Shop Online - $30
Connector plugs– 1x 15 pin, 1x 6 pin, 1x 15 pin – DSE $10
Headlamp - Halogen 20W - pocket bike, bulb from Bunnings $30
Stop/Tail lamp - 18w/10w festoon - SuperCheap Auto $8
Indicator lamps - T10 LED bulbs - pocket bike/bulbs from Kmart auto $50
All wiring is DSE sourced medium duty except primary positive and negative from battery which is heavy duty, PVC tape (Nitto) wrapped and cost approx $10.
The various switch and flasher bulb brackets are all sourced from the scrap pile and scratchbuilt. The Dual-Brake Lever is a modified single making it a cinch for the brake micro-switch.

Total cost: just under $200.

I did have a scooter horn wired in but it drained the heck out of the battery. So I’m on the hunt for something suitable.

Attachments

• 12v wiring.jpg
    12v wiring.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 647
  • Hardley_jbox.jpg
    Hardley_jbox.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 312
  • Hardleybrakeswitch.jpg
    Hardleybrakeswitch.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 327
  • Hardleycontrols.jpg
    Hardleycontrols.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 303
  • Hardleyfrt.jpg
    Hardleyfrt.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 342
  • Hardleyrearlamps.jpg
    Hardleyrearlamps.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 340
Last edited by a moderator:
excellent work, reddack,

aussiesteve was having hard times trying to find parts to put together his system i hope your posting will inspire him to give it another try !!!!!

Thanks vegaspaddy. The LED shop has a big range of 12 volt auto setups and to the average wage earner this would be a bonus and competitively priced with what they're charging in auto stores here. It was cheaper to purchase the electronic flasher and pay postage than buy the same from the local AutoPro store. I

I'll be getting festoon LEDs for the stop/tail lamp and perhaps a setup to replace the halogen. For some reason the halogen lamps on both mine and the wife's driving lamps display a black shadow in the beam's centre. So I figure multiple LEDs will sort this out.

hi reddack,

its just like our bikes you start building and then you have another idea and then another idea just way too much fun and fustration at the same time. I assume you have the sla in those saddle bags.

Battery holder

:DYer got that right, McBrain keeps me awake most nights on the drawing-table/laptop sketching out innovations. But he leaves me alone after a good read or in worst cases, intoxication.:unsure:

The battery is under the saddle, forgot that important pic.:whistle:

Attachments

• Hardleytank_eng_jbox.jpg
    Hardleytank_eng_jbox.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 353
If only you could come to my house to put it all together on my bike.

A good Servicing always has a cost

Good implementation on a budget, so Aussie, well done !!

Back