Gas/electric in frame project started

professor

Local time
4:59 AM
Got bored last night, so I dragged the bike in to diddle with switching the rear rim to a 24. Here is a pic. It is an old Huffy moutain, now with a 24 inch sus.front end (snagged from another project). The frame is legnthened 3 inches,
I didn't know if I could fit the stuff in the frame, so 3 looked like a good number.

This will be an e-bike with an onboard gen-set. (It will be able to run off batterys even without the engine on for a little while, if needed) - No range issues with this e-bike, also batterys should last a long time because there will be no depletion cycles- just like a car.

I am using the H.F. 2.5hp because it is the smallest new 4 stroke at a cost I can live with.
Put some pull-back bars on it.
The Delco alternator now has a 24v regulator from a vendor on Ebay.
Stock pulley on the alternator and a 4 inch on the engine. Pulls over fine.
I made a little tray for the 2 batterys and the controller will fit right under that.
mikes339.jpg

I was hemming and hawing about wether to go to friction drive on the 450watt motor or chain. Being that I will use the scooter #25 chain to an intermediate hub, I may as well do the full chain drive like I did on my mongoose.

I had to cut about an inch off the engine output shaft to narrow the deal as much as possible.

I also had no intention of getting this far with the build (spring is a long way off) but the holidays gave me a lot of time to tinker.

Next, the exhaust will sweep up over the engine into a muffler I will make that will go in the frame section behind the engine. It needs to be real quiet. Even though it will be completely legal, the engine will be undercover.

By the way, I put the bike up on a table and lash it from tipping with one of those ratcheting straps- wonderful way to work, weld, paint or whatever(wind the strap 2 times around the top tube and it won't tip).

Got bored last night, so I dragged the bike in to diddle with switching the rear rim to a 24. Here is a pic. It is an old Huffy moutain, now with a 24 inch sus.front end (snagged from another project). The frame is legnthened 3 inches,
I didn't know if I could fit the stuff in the frame, so 3 looked like a good number.

This will be an e-bike with an onboard gen-set. (It will be able to run off batterys even without the engine on for a little while, if needed) - No range issues with this e-bike, also batterys should last a long time because there will be no depletion cycles- just like a car.

I am using the H.F. 2.5hp because it is the smallest new 4 stroke at a cost I can live with.
Put some pull-back bars on it.
The Delco alternator now has a 24v regulator from a vendor on Ebay.
Stock pulley on the alternator and a 4 inch on the engine. Pulls over fine.
I made a little tray for the 2 batterys and the controller will fit right under that.
mikes339.jpg

I was hemming and hawing about wether to go to friction drive on the 450watt motor or chain. Being that I will use the scooter #25 chain to an intermediate hub, I may as well do the full chain drive like I did on my mongoose.

I had to cut about an inch off the engine output shaft to narrow the deal as much as possible.

I also had no intention of getting this far with the build (spring is a long way off) but the holidays gave me a lot of time to tinker.

Next, the exhaust will sweep up over the engine into a muffler I will make that will go in the frame section behind the engine. It needs to be real quiet. Even though it will be completely legal, the engine will be undercover.

By the way, I put the bike up on a table and lash it from tipping with one of those ratcheting straps- wonderful way to work, weld, paint or whatever(wind the strap 2 times around the top tube and it won't tip).

That looks nice.....looks like it belongs there. At least you have some weight over the front. That's always been one of my problems....front end light. OK if you like wheelies, bad on ice and snow. :devilish:

Gas/electric in frame

Hey Professor, I like it. I considered a dual drive on one of my bikes as well but was just going to have an option of electric or gas, not charging as I rode but it's a great idea. How do you like that little HF engine? Is it a noisy engine with the stock muffler? I also wondered about how to work the throttle. I just looked at one this morning for a future build. Might even consider swapping out the HT on my chopper project. Woody

My opinion of the HF is it is a super deal, seems real well made, little things like chrome bolts for the tank, castings that are very good appearing.
The engine is fairly quiet.
The muffler and pipe feeding it are more elaborate than what I expected (won't be using either though- would have to cut them up and should it need to be taken back for warranty would be likely rejected- would have liked to use it though).

The only thing I had trouble with was figuring out the labeling on the on/off switch. Did you ever pull start like crazy, only to decide to throw the switch the other way and have it fire right up?

The throttle is easy. There is a spring loaded screw that puts drag on the lever so the arm will stay put. You back off the bolt until the throttle just snaps back to idle. Drill a hole in it and rig up a cable to the hole.
I will have to experiment with throttle settings for keeping the batterys up and motor response.

Denny- the last time I fell off a bike was when I caught a rut in the snow about 48 years ago. put a small gash in my leg landing on a broken bottle. I am kind of leery about riding in the snow.

My opinion of the HF is it is a super deal, seems real well made, little things like chrome bolts for the tank, castings that are very good appearing.
The engine is fairly quiet.
The muffler and pipe feeding it are more elaborate than what I expected (won't be using either though- would have to cut them up and should it need to be taken back for warranty would be likely rejected- would have liked to use it though).

The only thing I had trouble with was figuring out the labeling on the on/off switch. Did you ever pull start like crazy, only to decide to throw the switch the other way and have it fire right up?

The throttle is easy. There is a spring loaded screw that puts drag on the lever so the arm will stay put. You back off the bolt until the throttle just snaps back to idle. Drill a hole in it and rig up a cable to the hole.
I will have to experiment with throttle settings for keeping the batterys up and motor response.

Denny- the last time I fell off a bike was when I caught a rut in the snow about 48 years ago. put a small gash in my leg landing on a broken bottle. I am kind of leery about riding in the snow.

Aaaargh, funny you should mention that. I just got back from a maybe 30 mile jaunt. It is snowing, and about half way through I kind of decided a bike was not the way to go. About that time a state snow plow truck came by, and the wash blew me right off the road and into a bridge rail. Broke the anchor for the rack mount (sheared off two 1/4x20 bolts.) I managed to find a piece of wire on the road and wired it together enough to make it home. I wasn't hurt, just soaked and slush covered, but the tail light was broken, and I'll have to straighten the rack out a bit. Little engine was still running laying there upside down. I must admit that I am impressed with the abuse this setup can absorb and still keep going. First thing I click on is your warning. :cry:

I agree, must be the stretch that does it, but I really don't want the engine to show. Reason is that gas engines have never been legal here and I don't want any attention drawn to an open engine.
It will have what looks like a frame bag around the engine with a smaller bag on top (like a tank bag on a motorcycle) to house the gastank.
I do like the boardtrack look but my back would never take the riding position.
Which is also the reason people with a messed up back might think more than once about a chopper style ride, where your feet are out ahead of you. When a big bump comes- you get nailed, as you can't offset the shock with your legs.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Here is a nice way to work on bikes- it's up on a folding table, strapped down. The pony clamp on the back tire keep it upright while strapping and also keeps it from rolling.
Wow. Two victories today, first-the back rim I just got done lacing and put on the bike (used the hub from a 26 into a 24 inch rim) and second-I figured out that my pics were too big (that I was trying unsucessfully) to attach- used the e-mail size setting in the camera and wham -- they work!

Attachments

• IMG_1554.JPG
    IMG_1554.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 720
This weekend was re-lace back hub to 24 inch rim and muffler instal.
Here are pics of the half of the canister that comes from the head pipe and a pic of the other half with fiberglas insert and flex pipe going down.
Then a shot of the completed muff.
I sprayed some starting fluid into the carb to fire it up a bit and it has a fairly quiet exhaust note. If I want it quieter still, there is room for a mower muff down below where the flex pipe goes into the frame.

Attachments

• mikes 341.jpg
    mikes 341.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 682
  • mikes 342.jpg
    mikes 342.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 671
  • mikes 343.jpg
    mikes 343.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 718
Back