Rhodes 4 wheeler, w/ Staton chain drive

bamabikeguy

Local time
12:04 AM
First new/different project for 2010 will be motorizing a 4 wheeled, 2 seated Rhoadescar.

They are built in Tennessee, and if my experience peddling alongside Ray in the passenger seat, less than a half mile, there are probably HUNDREDS sitting un-used, especially in the beachy areas of the US. Peddling sux.

Joe, the customer, drove to the plant to pick it up, $2500 for the unit, estimating $850 to motorize, hoping for 15 mph and 150 mpg.

To: Dave Staton
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:43 AM
Subject: Doing a Rhoadescar 4 wheeler, need a kit

Hey David,

The customer left me the bare bones version of this 4 wheeler.

http://www.rhoadescar.com/jumpshow.htm

The axle and sprockets look to be standard. I'll need the 50cc Honda or Subaru, with the slowest/lowest sprocket setup, since speed is NOT what we need.

If you want to change the information on your billing (the last refund went to that B'ham customer of mine)...

To: <bama_bikeguy
Date: Tuesday, December 29, 2009, 7:36 PM

Hi,

Can you email me some pictures of this so I will have a better idea of what you will need?
Thanks
David

PS: I will be in a little on Wed, then out till 1-4th

See our web sites for more information at:
www.staton-inc.com &
www.motorizedwheelbarrow.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:39 AM

David,

My camera went kaput, I plan on taking pictures of the build, but the one on my carport is the spartan version of this two seater.

http://www.rhoadescar.com/jumpshow.htm

If you click around on their site, there is a page of specs:

http://www.rhoadescar.com

My friend, retired mechanical engineer Jack, who also builds Mbikes was here. He has worked with me on some of the Staton trikes.

The entire frame is square tubing, behind the seats are two, one acting like a bumper. We know there is going to be some drilling and adapting, possible welds, and we will need a longer throttle cable, maybe 96". A longer kill switch would also be needed, but we can work around that.

The existing two freewheeling sprockets on the rear axle look standard, I'm not sure on the slot, but like we did on the Schwinn, if you could send BOTH sized keyways, we should have success.

The Staton sprocket will be in the middle, so we need two collars. If you have a 2 extra half links for your chain size, that also would be helpful to have on hand.

I said 50 cc, because I'm sure 35cc won't pull the weight of the two riders, anything between 2-3 horsepower should do the trick. It doesn't have any basketry yet, but we will use the exterior gas tank.

And as to the teeth on the axle and engine sprockets, we are seeking torque, not speed. The Schwinn trike was topping out at 19 mph, but 15mph felt safest, and the Rhoadescar will be operating in hilly country.

The only possible hitch, and I'll have to check when the sun comes up, is if the Rhoads axle has any back/forth play in the slot, to tighten the Staton chain, but I'm going to presume there is room for that.

I hope I haven't overlooked any items, and if I have missed something, let me know.

I'm going to start beefing up the wheels, put in the punctureproof inner tubes, mirrors, pennants, etc. while waiting for the kit.

When Alabama wins next week, Joe will be painting the blue frame crimson, decaling it with every Roll Tide item he can find.

He and Mrs. Joe hope to be riding in parades for years to come, and the paint scheme will give him immunity from legal problems in his hometown.

One thing Ray and I agreed on is it was far more stable than trikes, took up about the same amount of road shoulder.

The gear control levers for both riders are on the steering post, we were both pooped out and cold yesterday morning, I didn't spend enough time switching gears on that initial run.

By myself, after everybody left, I didn't have the gumption to go 1/4 mile to the church parking lot.

Motorizing them is the only way to make them useful, I think a quiet engine could even be camoflaged, by a basket or cover. Electric conversion is offered by Rhoades, but they have that 10-20 mile limitation.

Making a U-turn in the country road was a shoulder to shoulder operation, so pick a flat spot to attempt it.

You do see a few of those non-motorized bikes/cars in retirement communities here in Florida. Flat land, & NO HILLS !

Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:36 AM
Subject: Correction on the dimensions

David,

The frame tubing is 2" square.

Behind the seat, the inside dimensions are 19" (front-rear) and 17" wide. This will be the "well" the engine sits in, because of the angle of the Staton chain to the axle.

From that well, to the handlebar grips, is 78", so that is the minimum length of that throttle cable, 80" might be perfect.

pc

Hey E,

You might want to look for Craiglist bargains if we pull this off......

From that 4 wheeler link you put in the other thread:

http://www.bhsi.org/fourwhel.htm

# Rhodes Car is a long-time maker of one seat, two seat, and four seat four-wheeled bikes. The one I rode at Interbike rolled easily on a flat surface and seemed very stable, but at 90 pounds it would be slow on uphills and probably ideal on a boardwalk. On the other hand, here is an interesting and very informative review by an enthusiastic user who is doing a lot with his, and has been testing its durability by jumping up and down on the frame! The factory is in Tennessee.

90 pounds doesn't sound right, but even at 70, plus the weight of the driver, you would have to be in GREAT shape to move this wheeled boat over 5 miles from the house.

But, if you get some good basketry, trips to the store might be doable.

Curiosity, googling "Craigslist Rhoades Car" brings up to a $1000 in savings....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ed=0CCUQBSgA&q=craigslist+rhoades+car&spell=1

I just took it uphill (5% grade) and back...tight turning will have to take some practice, too fast an the far wheel skips a bit.

The thing is BUILT for newspaper delivery service, thats for sure !!

Re-looking at the future engine "well" in relation to the axle, it won't have to be very deep. One easy idea is buying some of that "erector set" type metal, painting it crimson.....

But I won't start until the kit gets a confirmed ship date.

here is a copy of his Craigslist ad

Keith

Rhoades Car 4-Wheeler Quadcycle - $995 (Chappells, SC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-12-22, 11:13AM EST
Reply to: sale-puk9p-1521099615@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rhoades Car. 36 Speed. Mag wheels, computer, heavy-duty bearings, large waterproof cargo box with tray, disc brakes, deluxe seat with armrests, thorn-proof tubes & kevlar liners, more. Loaded with nearly every option available! Mint condition, only ridden 89 miles, & garage-stored. No longer has canopy top in picture, but can be ordered from Rhoades Car, & easily installed with just a few screws, if so desired. Paid over $3,000 three years ago! Would consider using this as partial payment on Toyota or Nissan truck. Call to see additional online pics. 864-998-3333

-it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1521099615

Copyright © 2009 craigslist, inc.terms of useprivacy policyfeedback forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Good dealio scoot,

That means somebody could scoot around for maybe $1,900, carrying two people. Take it off your taxes as rehabilitation gear, medical expense......

Whats a new ATV run nowadays??

Except these are legal on the roads, just put a SloMovVeh orange sign on back.

Last edited:
Got $2,000 to spare?

If you can find these used bargains, and motorizing cost est: $900, the 2 seater (4W2P) appears to be the easiest to motorize, imho.

For use in small towns w/ low traffic, if it carries 2 people, that's $1,000 per rider, less than one of my GEBEs on a new Sun/Trek cruiser.

& My blue recumbent cost upwards of $1,800, Worksman PAV's (new) with engine are about the same.......

The 4W4P would #2 on my easy scale, simply remove the rear seats. (because it may have 4 seats, but only 2 cranks, your buddies in back are dead weight).

The more we look into this, checking the showroom http://www.rhoadescar.com/jumpshow.htm the more ideas come to mind.

For Esteban's 4W1P to work, you have to add wielding $$$secure more frame to the back, to provide the "well" to hold the engine.

Per the specs, http://www.rhoadescar.com/jumpspec.htm the 4W1P, weighs 75 pounds

and the Frame area behind seats to accomodate cargo carrier is :19"w x 15"d

(boy, was I wrong on the weight estimation, but most of the diff is the frame behind the seat...)

While the one on the carport: 4W2PCP 115 lbs.
Frame area behind seats
43"w x 24"d
** Tip to tip length: 92" width 55"
** Weight: 130 lb. (with heaviest duty seats/armrests)
** Axle 3/4"
** Frame area for cargo: 43" X 24"
** Large load capacity: Greater than 1000 lb.

So, looking at this 4W1P pic, like Esteban's bargain,: http://www.rhoadescar.com/jumpshow.htm, there is no rectangular frame well.

Maybe you could dangle the engine off the back bumper, and the Staton sprocket would be have to be uncentered on the axle.....

Anyway, as we look for online bargains, the 4W2P is #1 on the "least conversion costs", and has the "most potential", imho.......

A friend is a boat fiberglasser, he could build a streamlined shell (An Oscar Mayer vienna sausage???) for parade exhibition, or a football for Rose bowling.

Back