Stolen Kerf Victimized

K

kerf

My wife and I went to the lake in September and took both of our bikes in my enclosed utility trailer. After returning, I unloaded my bike, because I ride around town but left the wifes Diamondback with the Staton friction drive/ TLE43 on the locked trailer. Yesterday morning I found the back trailer door down and the bike gone, someone put a bolt cutter to the pad lock, I think just before daylight. I called the Sheriff and filed a report, maybe some good will come of that. There has been a rash of burglaries all across Birmingham and as the deputy was finishing up with me, a call came over the radio of a burglary in progress a few blocks away. He quickly left, lights and sirens full blast.

I reported the theft to my insurance adjuster, in Alpharetta, GA and she told me the were just talking about all the claims coming from Birmingham. I think someone saw the locked trailer and broke into it thinking there would be contractor tools inside. To say kerf's angry is very much an understatement. The bike along with the engine and other accessories cost me about $1200, less the $500 deductible leaves me in a hole. Not to mention the sweat and hours I put into the bike. Wife cried, I cursed.

Just a word of warning to my MB brothers, the economy is in the sewer and with the holidays looming, well I'll just say there are thieves among us. I thought I had done everything right but apparently not. Look at everything you own and every conceivable way some piece of **** could steal it. Take photos of your stuff and keep good records, so if it happens you are prepared.

Well, I'm off to the bike shop to begin getting information for my claim, this is no fun.

that sucks!got any ghettos around there?thats where youll find it.there not going to pawn it but there gonna want to make a quick buck.so will probably end up in the nearest hood.

or in police custody when some @#$@#$% gets pulled over on it.

it scares me to death leaving my GEBE or Staton bikes locked outside when i'm on an errand run. I'm so paranoid that i have 2 locks with me at all times. I hope you get your bikes safely back and the lowlifes that took it wind up in jail.

Wow kerf, sorry to hear that. At least they didn't bust into your house.

Better keep an eye out on craigslist or any local pawn shops for your bike!

That stinks, Kerf. My wife's bike (with a Honda gx25 staton friction drive) was stolen last year from in front of the gym (with kryptonite cable lock) and was not recovered.

Hate to hear that. These motored bikes are NOT all that common in the Birmingham and surrounding areas. Please post if you will a picture of the bike and I'll keep my eye out. I live just off exit 234-231 on I-65...Calera.
My wife travels more then I to the Homewood area..daaaa....The Galleria. So with my wife, son, and friends, along with myself looking out, we just might see it.

Last edited:
Kerf, rough luck indeed. Sure sounds like you have a gang moved into the area.
Hope they bust them but that nights load is already on it's way out of town.

The worst part is that you have to spend a lot of time getting the paper work together to satisfy the insurance co.

Steve.

Thanks for the support guys, the Sheriff Dept. has a hot list that the pawn shops work with them on. They called this morning to say they were putting it on the list. I don't have a picture of the Diamondback but I do have a picture of the bike the motor was on before. All of the parts were swapped to the Diamondback so it would be almost identical except for the color. Instead of being light green, it's dark green, other than that it's the same.

I've been looking and I hope the law comes through, but it would probably be better if I don't personally find the thief. Guess you could say, kerf would be better suited to 1909 rather than 2009, if you get my meaning.

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 386
Back