Thread Repair: Wow, idiot proof

Skyliner70cc

Local time
12:48 PM
I stripped two bolt holes from repeatedly removing/installing the creative engineering clutch assembly-its for sale by the way since I don't care for the feel.

I've never used a thread repair kit before and I was leaning towards buying a helicoil kit but heard how much of a pain they can be to use.

I ended up with a Timesert thread repair kit and LET ME TELL you. It took me 10 minutes to fix both threads and I wasn't even rushing.

This thing is pretty much idiot proof and allowed me to repair the threads without having to remove the engine from the bike. I am sold on this thread repair technology and highly recommend it to anybody who strips the thread on their bike. I would trust it on anything from engine mounts to head studs.

Hope this helps someone as much as it has helped me.

:gunsmilie:
I stripped two bolt holes from repeatedly removing/installing the creative engineering clutch assembly-its for sale by the way since I don't care for the feel.

I've never used a thread repair kit before and I was leaning towards buying a helicoil kit but heard how much of a pain they can be to use.

I ended up with a Timesert thread repair kit and LET ME TELL you. It took me 10 minutes to fix both threads and I wasn't even rushing.

This thing is pretty much idiot proof and allowed me to repair the threads without having to remove the engine from the bike. I am sold on this thread repair technology and highly recommend it to anybody who strips the thread on their bike. I would trust it on anything from engine mounts to head studs.
Hope this helps someone as much as it has helped me.

Did ya use red locktight or did ya J B weld them in? I told ya they were the bomb! us old bikers are good for something LOL

a heck of a statement !!

I would trust it on anything from engine mounts to head studs.

a heck of a statement
give us a call ((if)) they are still right and tight after 6 months to a year -- heavy riding

then we know for sure -- we have something

that that I had a hot date
6 months later I couldn't remember her name ???

always fun to ride those things !!!

The inserts should hold up well. They already have shown the ability to handle much more torque than the stock threads. I put a good 20 ft-lbs on them already. If I was doing headstuds, I would use a bigsert instead with JB weld.

The are stronger than the stock thread for sure but I understand your pessimism, I'm a doubting Thomas too.

Last edited:
I came across a vid on utube about six months ago on these. Interesting, IIRC they were developed in Germany, had a great vid with tech data and such. If they work as promised they'd be a boon to the home mechanic.
What's the cost on these to get you started?

"I'm a doubting Thomas" My middle name! Comes from the bible, He doubted Christ had really risen and To reasure him Christ let him put his fingers in the nail holes infront of the rest of the appostles.

just my two cents, even if its only worth one down south, helicoils should never be used unless you cant tap anything. i have seen a few hellicoil repairs in my few days......

tapping is sleezy easy, just be sure to use some light oil and back out one turn for every 3/4 inwards to clear the cutter.

you should have 3 sets of taps, a taper, a plug, and a finish. taper will make the first threads deep and clean, the plug tap will give you your uniform thread (and is usable) and the finish will really make it a pro job.

always use plug taps for through holes.

There's many an instance where you cannot retap a bolt hole because you need to reuse the same size bolt.

"I'm a doubting Thomas" My middle name! Comes from the bible, He doubted Christ had really risen and To reasure him Christ let him put his fingers in the nail holes infront of the rest of the appostles.

JOHN 20:24-29 If your going to quote God Plz tell the whole story
But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
So the other disciples were saying to him, "We have seen the Lord!" But he said to them, "Unless I see in His hands the imprint of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe." After eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus *came, the doors having been shut, and stood in their midst and said, "Peace be with you." Then He *said to Thomas, "Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing." Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus *said to him, "Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed."

Back