Boardtracker

David in Alabama

Local time
7:40 AM
Here are a couple of photos of a project I picked up a month ago.

It's a 1920s Harley J model boardtrack/roadrace replica. 1921 J model pocket valve 1000cc motor in a 27 JD frame. It has a 3 speed tank shift transmission with an early clutch setup. Has a real braced boardtrack fork, 28" clincher race wheels, and period Firestone racing tires. Wide boardtrack bars with internal throttle and spark advance. This one has brakes, as it's styled after the bikes used in endurance road races of the time. These were distance races run from city to city over public roads in the States and Europe. Should be pretty cool when it's finished!:D

Attachments

• DSC00360.JPG
    DSC00360.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 3,478
  • DSC00362.JPG
    DSC00362.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 3,953
It certainly is going to be cool. Already is for that matter.

I suppose you'll have to watch it like a hawk. There are smarter thieves out there who don't bother with just anything. But even they're liable to think it's authentic. And even if not, it's still very desirable.

The vultures will be circling and waiting for you to turn your back.

That's one problem with MBs. Where pedal bikes are concerned I've mostly ridden very ordinary stuff. I don't need to keep a very close eye on it. But I figure my MB is known throughout the neighborhood and I don't know who would grab it if they got the chance.

But I know there's some out there.

The openings in the fuel tank to clear the spark plugs make it look very authentic.

Thanks Wheelbender,

Actually, the tank cut outs are factory. They are for the overhead inlet valves. The plugs go in the top front of the forward cylinder and the top back of the rear cylinder. The exhaust valves are a side valve design similar to a modern Briggs motor. Both intake and exhaust valves can be changed with the motor in the frame. There are better engine photos in my gallery. These bikes were actually raced by privateers back in the day. The H-D factory team used a twin cam twin overhead valve engined racer.:cool:

Update Photos

Time for some update photos. Still need a rare set of early Harley rings to get it up and running, but we're beatin the bushes looking for them, and hope to find a set soon!:cool:

Attachments

• DSC00394.JPG
    DSC00394.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 2,098
  • DSC00395.JPG
    DSC00395.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 2,109
  • DSC00398.JPG
    DSC00398.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,809
Looking good. I'm kinda partial to the harley pea green, but your paint does set it apart from the others. Can you get a few new rings cut for it? That might save the trouble of finding a NOS set.

Back