Chain Tensioner super simple alternative to cheap chain tensioner

linnix13

Local time
11:16 AM
i made a tensioner by cutting up a block of UHMW. it is very very effective and indistructible. for the first 100km it was very rough and loud but i have 3000km on it since and never had a single problem, it set in to the chain perfectly!

Attachments

• 100_3134.jpg
    100_3134.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,211
  • 100_3135.jpg
    100_3135.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,028
I don't understand. Just what is that material?

And is the chain simply running along, wearing a groove in it?

its UMHW and its an ultra resistant friction proof plastic synthetic used in huge industrial machines. i used a band saw to cut out a groov and then run the chain through it. the jaged edges get worn down smooth and then there is no resistance on the chain. i have run 3000km through this thing and never had a problem. it also will not melt. its rough for the first few kms you run with it until its set then its smoother than a wheel!

UHMW = Ultra High Molecular Weight plastic. It is a form of plastic with a polymer chain weight in the 100's of thousands of Daltons, and is a self lubricating bearing surface used in chain conveyors and other applications where metal drags across it. It can be worked with ordinary woodworking tools - cut, lathed, etc to just about any shape you need. Most woodworking supply houses sell rolls of it in the form of tape, about 1/32 inch thivk and an inch wide - it makes great drawer slides, table slides, and guide faces for bandsaws. It is also availabe in just about any size/thickness sheet you might want.

Great stuff.

It also works great for custom intakes. It is fuel resistant and isolates the carburetor really well. You can find it on ebay.

I had a Yamaha 500cc thumper
it used it on the chain tensioner
used when I bought it
used when I sold it

that plastic looking stuff holds up very well -- super smooth also

the chains glide over those things

MM

Back