~Motorized SideCar~Trike Conversion~

Howdy Fellas.
Got this Sidecar last Sunday.
Motorized it after Sunday's dinner.
Burnt a tank and a half of gas by 3 a.m. Monday morning.

Sidecar is extremely stable yet the bike itself was pretty hairy to ride due in part I think to having front suspension when you're unable to lean into the corners.
Also needed to be realigned and towed in maybe.

All in all , I was quite happy at the way it handled and performed with my brother and I (425 pounds combined) on it.
We took turns putting it though its paces for approx. 4 hours and a 12 pack of Hieneken.

This was between 11 pm and 3 am last Sunday night so traffic was negligable and we took her up, down, and around every obstacle we could find.

The biggest drawback that I've found so far is the width.
Measuring from the left handgrip on the bike to the furthest point on the right of the sidecar (the outer wheel axle support ) , were talking a whopping 58 inches plus elbow room.

Cont.... next post

~Haggard~

Attachments

• sidecar1.jpg
    sidecar1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 2,326
  • sidecar 2.jpg
    sidecar 2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,539
  • sidecar 3.jpg
    sidecar 3.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 3,741
That's really good. Very different one. It must be great riding it. Keep it up!!

The first steps of the Conversion to a Trike

About the width of a V.W. Bus!!!!! haha
Actually , I have no idea what the width of a vw is but I don't think it can be to much more ???!!???

Won't even fit through my gate!!.

Heres my plan.

Throw a way the bicycle.
Make another rear wheel hanger and support on the left of the sidecar to match the one on the right.

This brings the overall width down to 40 inches and I now have the back half of the begginlngs of a trike.

I have a springer front end off an old triumph motorcycle I'm thinking of using on this build.

What I'm thinking is running a bike frame or part of a bike frame straight down the middle .
This will give me a solid mounting point to connect the front forks at, but the rake (angle) of a bicycle headset is no wheres near what i consider adequate for a trike.

Herea a couple pics of what I'm thinking will be the general layout of the trike.

The first 2 pics show one of my other trikes.
the next 4 show the side car conversion with the springer front end in its mounting position
. What I did to get a better rake on the front end of the first trike is start with a full suspension bicycle.
By removing the rear suspension and letting the bicycle frame fold into itself,
I got a instant rake on the headset that suited my needs perfectly without having to do any cutting , welding or basically anything other than remove the two bolts and take the rear suspension out.

I'm thinking I'll probably do something similar with this build.

Oh .also ,I am planning to keep the bench seat and make it a 2 seater motorized trike.

To be cont....

~Haggard~

Attachments

• rake1.jpg
    rake1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 847
  • rake2.jpg
    rake2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 820
  • trike 1.jpg
    trike 1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 858