WTH! @_@ -Peddling bike makes engine emit strange noise.

Rainsawck!

Local time
12:16 PM
So, I made my attempt at mounting my rear 36t sprocket to my Schwinn Delmar following the horrible assembly guide sent to me by the distributor. And it's made a weird problem.

I finished everything up, flipped over the bike and tried to "Peddle" the bike by hand to make sure the rear tire would go smoothly.

It wouldn't. (SURPRISE!)

Instead, the rear tire only moves in "Jerks", and at the end of each of these jerks the muffler emits a "PUT" sound. As if the engine was trying to start or something...

I've included some pictures of my rear hub and sprocket. I'm 150% sure I did something wrong in that area. Will someone help me figure out what's going on?

Please be gentle with me, I'm a newb with a black and white photo copied guide with nearly no pictures on it. I've spent nearly 20 hours straight constantly met with failure and only a tin of Altoids to keep me sane.

Attachments

• Blegh 001.jpg
    Blegh 001.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 348
  • Blegh 002.jpg
    Blegh 002.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 319
  • Blegh 003.jpg
    Blegh 003.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 304
  • Blegh 004.jpg
    Blegh 004.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 318
  • Blegh 005.jpg
    Blegh 005.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 301
  • Blegh 008.jpg
    Blegh 008.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
if the wheel spins freely without the engine connected then the clutch is engaged or needs adjustment.

i may be all wrong but i'm asuming you have a HT engine?

if that's so, go over to the left side of the bike and pull in the clutch, then try to pedal by hand again. should be smooth and free.

to start and ride with this setup you have to pull in the clutch ,pedal up to speed and release the clutch.

the jerking you are experiencing now is because you are turning the engine thru compression strokes and it's attempting to start.

keep at it, you're almost done.

steve

Yup, it sounds like it's acting exactly the way it's supposed to. When you were pedaling it the engine was turning over. With the clutch handle pulled in you should be able to pedal normally.

In one or two of those photos I thought I saw gaps in the rubber mounts that would seem to suggest you ought to tighten those spots more. And in one place the edge of one steel backing plate was overlapping the edge of the next one. I'd loosen things up a bit, slip and slide them back into place with no overlap and tighten securely. I don't know if this is drastically important, but it seems like a good idea. The drive will put stress on that one part of your wheel. Probably a good idea to make it as neat and clean as possible.

Good photos, by the way.

Are you pulling the clutch lever in when you are peddling?

or
The clutch friction plate is stuck

take the chain off

Take a flat screw driver and carefully pry on the teeth
of the front 10 tooth sprocket to turn it

Use the boss on the bottom as a pivot point for
your screw driver

The sprocket will break free

I had to do this on all the Raw motors I sold as their
clutch pads are very uneven and they came locked up

Grubee motors spin freely right out of the box and their
clutch pad are even and of a better material
Grubee's are also test run in the factory

take the cover off the clutch (right) side and you
will see the presure plate move out when you pull
the clutch
Also grease between the gears with thick grease
Don't use too much or too thin a grease as it will get
on your dry clutch pads

If that doesn't work you will need to adjust the clutch

Last edited:
I finished everything up, flipped over the bike and tried to "Peddle" the bike by hand to make sure the rear tire would go smoothly.

It wouldn't. (SURPRISE!)
It's rather important that you understand this when starting and riding your bike.

As the others have stated, it should turn - either with the clutch disengaging the engine (easy) or the engine itself "turning over". (Attempting to start).

Instead, the rear tire only moves in "Jerks", and at the end of each of these jerks the muffler emits a "PUT" sound. As if the engine was trying to start or something...

I've included some pictures of my rear hub and sprocket. I'm 150% sure I did something wrong in that area. Will someone help me figure out what's going on?

Please be gentle with me, I'm a newb with a black and white photo copied guide with nearly no pictures on it. I've spent nearly 20 hours straight constantly met with failure and only a tin of Altoids to keep me sane.

Sounds like you are doing things correctly. Maybe cut back on the Altoids.  :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys so much for the help, turns out it was fine, the clutch was not tight enough to pop the gear train up while it was engaged.

Thanks so much, almost ready to try this thing out...

Back