FireBelly 4 Stroke "Hard Box" Transmission

Local time
7:20 AM
We have been testing our own transmission design with what we believe to be "Great success".

It is chain/sprocket drive and utilizes a Max Torque centrifugal clutch. w/ current reduction and standard 44 tooth final drive it produces a top speed of 33 mph. Reduction can be changed w/ off the shelf parts as well as final drive sprockets. It is narrower than the Hoot and Grubee as a prototype and will be even narrower in production.

All metal in construction, w/ aluminum covers, it will prove to accent the look of vintage style bikes as well as new models.

It is set to go into production in the next couple of weeks w/ availability beginning (most likely) in late April. Transmissions will be available in a complete kit or seperately (for those who already own a kit w/ an inferior transmission) and will be available for models w/ 15mm, 5/8", or 3/4" shafts.

Retail price will depend entirely on production costs but it is our intention to keep quality and appearance high and price low! The kit will come w/ a "real" universal engine mount that will also look nice.

The current pics are of the prototype (built for functionality only) and the finished product will be cnc precision machined to a more rounded shape reminiscent of vintage single cylinder motorcycles.

I'll post pics of the finished product as soon as I can! I'm confident that it's appearance and funcionality will appeal to the asthetically minded m/b builder.

As always "Motorized Bicycles and Accessories Built for the Real World"

Attachments

• newgb4.jpg
    newgb4.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 991
  • newgb2.jpg
    newgb2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 906
I like the fact that it is narrower, the clutch is in the open for better cooling and I bet the chain drive produces a significantly quieter box than the Hoot or Grubee.

how much for the drivetrain? will it fit the stock honda gx50 motor ?
let me know soon, I will be needing a tranny asap.
Mike
IE: willing to prepurchase via paypal too.

So there are actually three chains involved in this drive train ,a primary from engine to clutch,then one between clutch out, and output sprocket and then a final drive to the rear wheel.No quick change of the drive ratio is posible,except possibly with an internally geared hub.

You will be able to change the ratio in very little time! But you are correct that it is not designed to be constantly changing the gear ratios. I've ridden all over Seattle w/ the ratio that I have right now and it goes up and down hills (and we have hills) with ease and a top speed of 34mph. I think most riders will pick a ratio that works for their geography and stick w/ it.

Just to be clear that's 2 chains transmission and 1 chain final drive. It is not much different than that of a go kart set up. Simple and Strong!

Last edited:
Back