Golden Eagle Kit - Belts keep disintegrating!

bumwaiter

Local time
12:43 AM
I have had my 35cc Robin/Subaru kit from Golden Eagle since last May. Way back I made the mistake of adjusting the tension lever for the belt, and since, my belts have not lasted nearly as long as they used to.

I just got back from a 70 mile ride, and a day after I took it out again, the belt ran its teeth off. I have tried adjusting the tension again, but I don't know how to get the perfect setting.

Any advice?

i'm not sure what you're trying to adjust, the tensioner is springloaded & self-adjusting...but i fear you've been running your engine without tension at least some of the time.

it sounds like you're not routing the belt correctly:
MVC-020F.JPG
or perhaps you tightened the nut too much.

the nut holding the tensioner should be tight enuff to keep it flat, but
still allow the tensioner to freely swing in onto the belt.

Yo Bum,

I think I know what happened,....but let me ask, first:

Is the reason you tightened the tension lever because you had too much bounce on that lever, where it would jump off the belt? Where you would have to reach back and re-engage it?

Because if that is what happened, we should address that bounce first, that maybe your spoke ring has moved severely off-center.

Then we can remount the wheel and check the axle position/washer spacing second, and re-adjusting the tension nut would come last.

What gauge spokes are you using?

Is your kit mounted on the axle, or did you do the frame-mounting modification?

Last edited:
there was too much bounce, yes. i would indeed reach back and kind of push the lever in so it stuck. i mount the bike to the axle. i am using the 12g wheel from GEBE.

there was too much bounce, yes. i would indeed reach back and kind of push the lever in so it stuck. i mount the bike to the axle. i am using the 12g wheel from GEBE.

Hmmmmm, that's a mystery, because I thought Dennis put a spot of superglue in each notch, to keep that ring from ever slipping. I do the same thing.

But that "bouncing" is the culprit, the fix is to go back, unsnap the spokering, recenter it, and eliminate the bounce.

Can you take a measurement of the clearance, at 12/3/6 and 9 o'clock positions on the wheel, so we can get positive on this fix?

Also, look in the notch, see if you detect superglue, and test the tensions on those spokes holding the ring on, make sure all are holding steady.

Back