CVT CVT's and Comet drivelines

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I would gladly give up the cassesst. I can easly use the front 3 gears to give me a good changing ratio for peddling. I mainly wanted it for stealth. I'm planning a big trip to South America and figure a bicycle will get WAY less attention than a motorbike and I want to make it appear as much like a bicycle as possible.

I'm still a little confused about the dual freewheel. Will the Bb kit come with 2 freewheel mechanisms? I know I'm probably just missing something obvious.

Found that Bb kit but there are 2 listed. I would assume it's the cheaper one but figured I'd ask before I order the wrong one

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikeparts/category.cgi

Also, just an idea, what would you think about having the CVT drive sprocket linked to a rear cassette so you could anticipate hills better and "trick" the cvt to change the ratio instead of it happening on the hill? Just a thought.

I signed up on the other forum but figured I'd just email you here to keep it simple.

Wow, you'd have to be Sheldon Brown to build one of these from the pictures. Awesome build. I've never seen one of the motors like described that have an attached Continuously Variable Transmission (belt driven?). Did you say those came from a snowmobile?

HAPPY, The cvt tranny`s come from pocket bikes and are proving to be dependable units and easy on belts. Nuttsy has put the most miles on his, around a year of use. I think he is on the first belt yet. He ran the 35cc 4 stroke robin for several months. He switched to the hf 52cc 2 stroke water pump motor and is very very happy with it. I thought i was the first with the mab cvt build, but Nuttsy was a few months ahead of me. And another mab builder has a cvt with a shift kit on a dual suspension, he may have been the first. Maybe he will jump in and post pic`s. Don`t remember his user name. Ron

Attachments

• 52 -49 CC FRICTION & CVT DRIVES.jpg
    52 -49 CC FRICTION & CVT DRIVES.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 514
  • 52CC CVT.jpg
    52CC CVT.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 553
  • 100_0866.jpg
    100_0866.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 577
  • 100_1018.jpg
    100_1018.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 556
More pic`s, The first pic is of the member with the shift kit cvt, don`t remember user name or which forum. The cvt workman trike is Large Fillipino`s build. The pic of the rear free wheel sprocket`s are on my r hand drive set up. The center spacer 1/8" can be left out, allowing more threads connecting free wheels. I do not think it is a problem. The free wheel bearing`s are hardened steel and very strong. The center spacer was used to keep the deraileur arm from hitting/rubbing on the large sprocket. If spacer is left out the large sprocket should be moved to the inside (spoke side) of the free wheel adapter. I have not removed the spacer yet, have not had any problems. Ron

Attachments

• fileshoot%204%20019.jpg
    fileshoot%204%20019.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 1,038
  • LF CVT BELT.jpg
    LF CVT BELT.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 536
  • 100_1018.jpg
    100_1018.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 474
  • 100_1230.jpg
    100_1230.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 523
Here is pic of Nuttsy cvt build with light`s and all. A nice set up, daily rider. He has the hd rear hub with left hand threads on left side, bought as a package and laced to a rim afterwards, or bought as a complete wheel.

Attachments

• 52CC 1.JPG
    52CC 1.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 518
  • 52CC 3.JPG
    52CC 3.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 494
  • Engine-CVT%20mount.JPG
    Engine-CVT%20mount.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 599
  • Grubee%20FW%20hub.JPG
    Grubee%20FW%20hub.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Thanks. I really like this one (the bike from Nuttsy). Some folks are really making some great uses out of those $10-15 leather roll bags from walmart. I like the rear bag with reflectors. Very clean build. Good job.

Are the CVT's from the Pocketbikes centrifugally activated or cable activated?
It appears they change ratios by a variable rate pulley on the top (compressing the two discs makes it at like a "larger" pulley"). How does the system compensate for the changing tension on the belt?

Happy, Yes, correct. The secondary sheave opens as the primary sheave close`s. A very smooth system. has been the system of choice on snow mobiles with over 100 hp. even being used in many new cars, as far as i know, the belt inside the transmission of the cars. The cvt bolts on the engines with the 76mm clutch shoes/78mm clutch drum, this covers many popular/current motors. Use`s centrifical clutch, no cables etc involved. Ron

Last edited:
Back